back to article EDS hits job cut target

EDS told The Register today that it has axed around 250 jobs following its limited voluntary redundancy plan offered to more than 2,500 UK-based staff last month. An EDS spokesman said that the company was "satisfied" that its latest job cull had "met expectations". The outsourcing firm, which holds a number of key public …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Dead Vulture

Methinks they got it wrong... again...

So EDS hit its targets on redundancies? Possibly about the only target they've hit in the last few months, and one of the few things to complete near to schedule...

Expect more redundancies - there are people being benched on a daily basis with little work to offer them.

As for people being 'appauled' by an offer of voluntary redundancy - that's usually because they are ex-civil servants still working under civil service T's & C's, or longer-serving EDS staff in the final salary pension scheme. The rest of us don't have such golden handcuffs to restrain us...

2. heystoopid
    Go

Alas

Alas as many a company or corporation has since found those who seek out and take the voluntary redundancies they offer , are for the most part the smartest and brightest the firm usually have that see the writing on the wall long before others they leave behind and are effectively the groomed replacement management team some ten to fifteen years down the track !

3. Ishkandar

If only

the entire senior management of EDS are among the 250 "voluntary redundancies" !!

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Lies, danm Lies and EDS Lies

When I applied for reduncancy from EDS, some years ago, myself and ALL the "ex" civil servants applied. More than 80% of the work force applied. When the local newpaper enquired, they were told it was because EDS offered such a good deal. The truth is EDS make you (especially ex civil service staff)feel worthless.

Why so few application (if that is the case)? Because EDS make you believe that no one else would employ you!

In one cull that I witnessed in EDS, you had to VOTE for the person that you didn't feel was pulling their weight, the one with the most votes was sacked, sorry, contract not renewed!

Another tactic, if the boss didn't like and EDS employee (I should point out ex Civil Servants were protected from this), then they would offer you a "permanent" job, when you accepted, they sacked you the next day. This meant

(1) No redundancy pay

(2) You had no rights as you'd only been employed for 1 day!

EDS treat staff like dirt.

To all you EDS staff reading.... get out whilst you can... I can attest..... the grass really is greener on the other side!

5. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

Not enough volunteers my Arse!

loads of us applied, although only advised 24hrs before the dealine for applications! Loads, kept waiting for ages as India scanned/fax docs the wrong way around (resulting in blank PDF's or faxes-so the rumour goes!) and then went home - some people only had 24hrs to decide. Many more ex-civi's want to go as they are treated like dirt on the bottom of the EDS boot (and still plano mgt can't figure out why so many want to leave the sinking ship).

We are told 'we would like to retain your services within the business at this time' - Let our people go, you know we aren't going to win any contract worth having in the UK if the Govt does its job properly.

This topic is closed for new posts.