back to article SanDisk readies 43-nanometer NAND Flash bash

SanDisk is ready to begin mass-production of commercial flash memory using 43 nanometer process technology. Its latest shrinkage of chip features can double the density per chip compared to the previous 56nm process. Shipments will start in the second half of 2008 with multi-level 16 and 32 Gb configurations. They'll be …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Joe K

Cool

And with the already plumetting prices of flash it wouldn't surprise me if by next year we had 64GB memory keys for about £20.

Who needs rewriteable blu-ray then! Same goes for laptop hard drives, power hungry slow things that they are in comparison.

2. Simon
    Thumb Up

Cheap as chips

I can imagine five years from now flash memory devices will be falling out of corn flakes packets and any form of disk will be considered obsolete.

Flash has to be the way to go.

Hey, allow me to dream here dammit!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

HD-BluRay

Hey, so long as this means the death of optical media once and for all - slow, crumbly and prone to motes of dust breaking the system - then I'm all for it. In fact, I skipped the brief DVD-crazy period altogether and got a 3.5" HDD-based media played some time ago; we've never owned a DVD player other than the one in the computer, and that's more than enough, thanks!

4. NICHOLAS SAUNDERS
    Happy

Bring it on...

I'll agree with everyone else, sooner we get high capacity flash chips (I'm talking 64-250-500gb) the better.

We can finally stop pouncing around with HD-DVD Blueray thingy , 3.5inch hard disks etc and put our entire movie/music collections (legally obtained of course) onto a little flash card to play on our portable media players - accept ipod users who will have to pay to convert everything via itunes drmware and wait 5 years for decent size overpriced product....

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like