back to article Hackers seed malware on Indian anti-virus site

Hackers planted malicious script on the site of an Indian anti-virus firm this week. The website of AVsoft Technologies was attacked by unidentified miscreants in order to distribute a variant of the Virut virus. AVsoft Technologies makes the SmartCOP antivirus package. One of the download pages of the site was boobytrapped …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Geoff Mackenzie

Better check if my machine's been compromised ...

... oh no, wait, it's all right. Windows again. No problem.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

heh

Used to be one of the most common infection vectors - viruses on copies of anti-virus update disks.

I'm sure that's how I got b1

3. Anonymous Coward
    Alien

Ah yes it is being fine and dandily

I called them to see if I had been compromised and all my servicings and internets are fixed or maybe better than normal which will make woindows go microsoft 2 times faster but maybe 4 times quicker if I am being running only on a tuesday or perhaps even maybe wednesday

4. Steve Roper
    Black Helicopters

And the obligatory conspiracy theory...

...is that this was the work of US-based antivirus companies like Trend or McAffee, who could have sabotaged the site in protest at these third-world countries stealing all the programming jobs and working for 5c per hour. Or simply to discredit a foreign rival. Or something.

Mine's the one with the tinfoil beanie, poncho, gauntlets, facemask, leggings and socks...

5. Anonymous Coward
    Go

It looks like a virus, smells like a virus....

Bah!

Adopt the Glock internet security model; a Glock does not have a safety, you pull the trigger or you don't.

6. Philip
    Coat

Paranoid

Is this perhaps the first attempt to infiltrate an AV vendor’s development environment and leave a legacy for years to come?

This topic is closed for new posts.