back to article Canonical scoops up KVM for Ubuntu virtualisation

Canonical has confirmed it will use Kernel-based Virtual Machine (KVM) as its primary virtualisation software in its latest Ubuntu Linux server release. The firm's virtualisation main man Soren Hansen, speaking in the weekly Ubuntu newsletter, said he tested the various options available including Xen, OpenVZ, QEmu+kqemu, and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

KVM

Which numpty decided to use an "acronym" already in established use in the computing arena?

2. Mat

Phew..

I thought I was going mad..

KVM has always been Keyboard, Video, Mouse

3. Bruno Girin

@Mat

Or the Kilobyte Virtual Machine that used to be the mobile equivalent of the Java JVM. But yeah, great way to increase acronym confusion. Maybe I should put it on my CV and see how much confusion it generates next time a recruiter plays buzzword bingo with it.

4. Ingvar
    Joke

Newcomers?

It can't be entirely new to anyone sufficiently skilled in the trade that most TLAs are already used up. Besides, the old and the new use of KVM are kind of in the same area, the new being SW only ;-)

5. amanfromMars Silver badge
    Alien

Vikings with Danegeld Required.....for Microsoft Black Hole White App. Covert Op.

"I thought I was going mad..

KVM has always been Keyboard, Video, Mouse"

Mat,

In Virtualisation Fields, that is all that you need to Change/ReArrange the Picture and as befits the Quantum Nature of the Change, Kernel-based Virtual Machine also has Controls.

But Windows has its own clone, Visual Studio Team System 2008 Team Foundation Server with Team Explorer, albeit floating in Microsoft like a Marie Celeste with no Pirate Crew to land ITs Booty/Sail the Seven Seas in IT Heaven.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Credit

Note that Fedora already supports KVM and libvirt/virt-manager et al. were developed by Red Hat. Lest Canonical claim credit for other people's work again...

7. Telic
    Linux

Annie Does Linux

Speaking of virtual worlds: The Society of Digital Artists reports...

Another prestigious animation award, the Special Achievement Annie Award went to Edwin R. Leonard for seeing the need to adopt Linux as common industry platform. He convinced the studios to get behind him, then pushed for hardware and software vendors to create what was needed to allow the studios to move to Linux.

http://features.cgsociety.org/story_custom.php?story_id=4417

The Annie Awards...

http://www.annieawards.org/

:)

8. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

KVM

Silly Windows Admins ...

Keyboard, Video, Mouse are for Kids!

9. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

KVM vs Xen

Everything I've seen suggests KVM's performance is inferior to Xen's in terms of speed.

Assuming more than one VM environment can provide the features you need (and they all do these days), speed is really the only remaining criteria when choosing which to use, so is very important.

10. Curtis W. Rendon
    Boffin

Well...

KVM doesn't offer the ASID support, CPU flag awareness, NUMA, shadow paging, 32/64 bit thunking, ACPI support, clock support and driver virtualization that the other virtualization methods offer, but what the hey. Who needs stuff that supports everything from *BSD to M$, huh?

11. Kevin Bailey

I love this competition

I'm so glad there are different types of virtualisation.

Competition means that the products are always going to improve.

It always amazed me when the convicted monopolists at MS call open source stuff communist.

12. John
    Stop

KVM doesn'r support ....

How is it then that I've been running 32-bit Linux and 32-bit Windows in KVM running in my 64-bit Fedora 8?

Sadly, I don't think either KVM or Xen matches Virtual PC on Windows yet.

As for running FreeBSD on Xen (I've not tried it on KVM yet), just run this google, it's still a current problem:

http://www.google.com.au/search?num=100&hl=en&safe=active&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&hs=EYY&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&ct=result&cd=1&q=%22BTX+Halted%22+xen&spell=1

I've been running Debian and Windows Server, virtualised, on the same hardware that gave me much grief with xen and KVM and most particularly, libvirt. I was hoping the stuff Ubuntu had used until now was going to provide a viable alternative.

13. TeeCee Gold badge
    Joke

@Ingvar

That's why we now have the ETLA* specification in draft. Have you not read it?

* Extended Three Letter Acronym.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Note that Fedora already supports KVM

Yeah, but Fedora is pants.

:)

15. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

KVM already in Fedora for 2 releases

Fedora users have had the option of using KVM as an alternative to Xen for 2 releases now. Both KVM and Xen have been fully supported across the entire virtualization management tool stack since Fedora 7.

This topic is closed for new posts.