back to article Japan brings down Godzilla of spam

Japanese police have arrested a "prolific spammer" who allegedly bombarded inboxes with hundreds of millions of messages punting internet gambling and dating sites. Investigators reckon Yuki Shiina, 25, sent as many as 2.2 billion spam messages using what appears to be rudimentary spamming techniques. He allegedly purchased a …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Talk about your customer conversion rate...

...Two billion emails to make $20k? Youch. Assuming each 'customer' (victim? asshole?) spent, say, fifty bucks, that means his clever advertising campaign netted him 400 customers.

It's at least good to hear that only about one out of every five million people was stupid enough to respond...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

a drop in the ocean

http://www.circleid.com/posts/7121411_google_blocking_1_billion_spam/

wonder the convertion ratio is. how many million emails do you send to get one dollar back?

3. Morely Dotes
    Alert

A few others need to go

blogspot.com has a well-known and heavily-exploited vulnerability which allows spammers to automatically create "landing pages" there, and one spammer in particular is abusing it heavily. Consumer PCs are being used to relay the spam.

See reports here:

http://castle-anthrax.us/modules/news/index.php?storytopic=5&storynum=5

4. Sam

Punishment

Rip his skin off, then roll him in chilli powder.....did I say that out loud?

5. Joe Zeff
    Alert

This is why spamming is profitable

Earlier posters laughed at the low response rate, but they ignored the two most important points: except for the cost of the list, the campaign cost the spammer nothing and his costs were only 5% of his gross income from spamming. That's right, his return was 20 times his investment. As long as that's true, we're going to have spammers.

6. Shannon Jacobs
    Thumb Up

Speaking as one of the targets

Actually, I suspect this may have been the guy I've been harassed by for years. I'm still not sure how he got my email address in the first place, but I've always suspected that his real scam was charging for advertising. He probably wasn't a yakuza himself, but kind of an affiliate providing advertising services for the yakuza's prostitutes and loan shark operations. Some days he'd send 50 spams, often repeating the same "ads" over and over again.

Assuming it's the same guy, then his websites have been becoming increasingly mobile over the last year, though he's switched from using dynamic DNS services to using registered domains. His original scam was apparently rather too complex, especially when one of his international DNS suppliers switched his DNS records to point at the website of the Japanese National Police Agency. I rather hope that startled a few of his wannabe customers--and I don't think he ever used that DNS again. There was also a Danish guy who simply gave me a special account that I could use to cancel the spammer's DNS records. Another service the spammer quickly abandoned--but he kept right on searching for new ones.

I'd even like to consider that i might have contributed to his final downfall, though I obviously don't want to make a public statement about the new method I started a few weeks ago. Might be worth using again. I'll just drop the hint that Japanese politicians are frequently tainted by associations with yakuza, and they try to avoid them no matter how much they like the yakuza's political support.

However, I actually think it most likely that the police set him up with a simple sting operation. The spammer seemed to be an idiot anyway.

No spam has arrived in a while. I certainly don't miss it.

7. Shannon Jacobs
    Thumb Down

I spoke too soon?

Apparently the spam is continuing. Anyway, I'll look at it later to figure out if any of the regular garbage is missing.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Japanese Spam?

Do you eat it raw?

Mine's the kimono with the dead whales on it.

This topic is closed for new posts.