back to article Microsoft preps Yahoo! proxy attack

When Bill Gates says an offer is fair, he means it. According to The New York Times' DealBook blog, Microsoft will soon spark a Yahoo! proxy fight rather than up its $44.6bn bid for the beleaguered Web portal. An increased bid would cost the company billions more, but sources tell DealBook that Microsoft could launch a proxy …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Charles Manning
    Gates Horns

Or in other words

You are surrounded. We can do this the easy way or the hard way. You may as well come out with your hands up.

2. Chris C

The problem with public companies

This is the problem with being a publicly-traded company -- you're obligated to do what's best for the shareholders, not what's best for the company. The best thing for Yahoo!, the company, is to decline the takeover. But the best thing for the shareholders most likely is to accept it. The shareholders will get boatloads of money, but the company will be sunk; it'll be stripped for parts and most of the employees will most likely be sent packing. But hey, who cares about the competitive and economic impact as long as we get a couple more m/billionaires out of the deal?

3. amanfromMars Silver badge

Moral Hazard ....

Of course, Microsoft themselves are equally vulnerable to Proxy fighting, which in the final analysis, always boil down to the competence and core business and moral values of the main protagonists.

Given the Perception that Microsoft are not of the Do No Evil crowd, for Bill to get into that scrap would be ........... well, brave would be one adjective and foolhardy would be another.

"The best thing for Yahoo!, the company, is to decline the takeover. But the best thing for the shareholders most likely is to accept it. The shareholders will get boatloads of money, but the company will be sunk; it'll be stripped for parts and most of the employees will most likely be sent packing." ..... Hmmm? With boatloads of money, starting all over again, without deadwood baggage, is a Godsend surely?

4. Mark Rendle

"The best thing for Yahoo! ... is to decline the takeover."?

I'm intrigued: in what way? In that they can crash and burn with their principles intact?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

They'll go to $50 billion

It's not what Yahoo is worth, it's what it's worth to Microsoft. Google is attacking their office, soon their OS, they've lost web control. Without Windows and Office Microsoft is not a major company.

They need Yahoo and they'll stump to $50b, maybe even $60b.

6. Tom Chiverton

"Microsoft themselves are equally vulnerable to Proxy fighting"

No, because no one else has that much money.

7. yonorri
    Linux

Resistance is futile

... says it all really. The Microsnot cube will dominate.

8. amanfromMars Silver badge

Ohhhh Yes they are.

<<<"Microsoft themselves are equally vulnerable to Proxy fighting"

By Tom Chiverton

Posted Wednesday 20th February 2008 09:38 GMT

No, because no one else has that much money. >>>>

It doesn't need money, Tom, only brains.

9. Alan Wray
    Dead Vulture

Brains

By amanfromMars

Posted Wednesday 20th February 2008 13:19 GMT

It doesn't need money, Tom, only brains.

Brains master? I'll go down to the village...

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

oh dear...

"Without Windows and Office Microsoft is not a major company."

... and without planes and rockets Boeing is not a major company either.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

Ummm.....

What's up with amanfromMars? His comments have been strangely lucid as of late...Somebody buy the man a pint.....

12. Futaihikage
    Thumb Down

This is a sad deal

If Microsoft gets Yahoo.... Things are just gonna get worse. Microsoft's way of doing things has never been truly for the benefit of its customer's. They are so detached from what the average user actually WANTS that they are now want to screw over the entire internet in general. It seems as of late, in the U.S. you have to choose between the lesser of two evils quite often these days. I'd rather have Google doing the whip cracking rather than Microsoft. You know what, I'd rather Yahoo just throw itself into a volcano as a sacrifice to appease the Silicon Gods in California.

13. Daniel B.
    Stop

Microsoap

Microsoft eating Yahoo! is worse than Yahoo! itself.

As much as I despise some of Yahoo!'s doings like the Chinese stuff and renaming Konfabulator to a lame "Yahoo! Widgets", it still is better than the crappy Microsoft camp.

"I'm intrigued: in what way? In that they can crash and burn with their principles intact?"

I'd rather see Yahoo! go down in flames than in Microsoft's hands. I still remember what happened to HoTMaiL after the MS takeover.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like