back to article Symantec Endpoint Security throws out error bugs

Symantec is working on a patch for a bug that generates errors in corporate security protection updates. Workarounds designed to quell the message storm are available but a more comprehensive fix is still in testing. The glitch in the Symantec's LiveUpdate package has left sysadmins managing Symantec Endpoint Protection …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Pirate

Nothing new here.

The previous incarnation of their Endpoint Protection product (purchased from Sygate) continually suffered from this sort of problem and the problems were never satisfactorily fixed in the 2 years we put up with it. Their solution was always to turn off the faulty feature.

2. David Thomas Hodan

Sighmantec spokesperson doesn't know squat!

It's not SEP logs that fill but the System logs. With default settings on a computer joined to a Windows domain this can prevent users from even being able to log on to their machines. That's a proper resolution. Prevent use.

3. Walter Brown
    Pirate

It blows my mind...

It blows my mind, that people, especially corporations and universities with so much to lose, would ever place their network security and valuable data to the likes of Symantec.

Its especially painful to see universities running their products! this doesn't say much for the schools IT program... maybe they should've conducted security software usability study? or maybe they did, and they just like the uphill challenge of keeping the network up and running with Symantec on it!

Symantec - I think that was the name of an ancient greek god... It translates to: The god of useless and retarded software.

These articles never seem to surprise me, but they always amuse me...

If you get in to a car with a blind man driving, you shouldn't start whining and crying when he hits a tree....

4. JeffyPooh
    Flame

www.Symantec-Sucks.Blogspot.com

Symantec. The name leaves one shaking one's head.

I've got Norton Internet Security 2007. When I run that idiot LiveUpdate it wanders off to download FORTY-SIX catalog files. FORTY-SIX!! And this is before it actually downloads any updates!! What lunatic could even think that such a scheme is appropriate? Even if there are one thousand files associated with the application, then make a damn list of the revision levels of those one thousand files and send it along. Should take 2 or 3 seconds. Not 2 or 3 minutes.

There are dozens of similar idiot design decisions.

My conclusion is that they've got a lunatic running the show. This many bad decisions, consistently bad decisions, can only come from one mind.

5. Neil
    Dead Vulture

Where in the world?

"It blows my mind, that people, especially corporations and universities with so much to lose, would ever place their network security and valuable data to the likes of Symantec."

I agree that the consumer products that PC World try to push like heroin are utter tripe and serve only to slow your PC down, but the corporate products have been good. A combination of Backup Exec and AV10 are more than acceptable.

The release of V11 however has changed my opinion of all that, and I now class SEP with the same low regard as the consumer products having experienced it first hand. I now recommend Trend AV.

Lets hope Backup Exec 12 isn't about to go the same way.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

as a disgruntled sygate user

I was pissed with micros-er symantec bought Sygate, which for my company's use fit the bill perfectly. However, not even a full year after being accquired by Symatec, I have yet to have one client or sever update, go without event.

If it weren't for the fact that I have more money than a fleet of Ferrari F-50's wrapped up in this, now crap, product, I'd cut my losses and run. But no, Symantec wants me to pull a vista and upgrade to endpoint protection 11.

Those clowns could fuck up a 2 car parade.

7. Peter Bullard
    Stop

Symatec - wikipedia entry

In the future wikipedia's entry for Symantec will read "multi-application bloatware fraud scam that fooled half the world at the start of the millenium". There programs and marketing techniques are similar to the "smitfraud" infections I see on a weekly basis that there useless AV programs (corporate and consumer) dont even detect.

Seriously; if you are a system admin/builder and you have not had a fat pay of from Symantec and are still using there products then you should start looking for basic common sense life skills!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like