back to article Ubuntu chief ushers in the age of Intrepid Ibex

Canonical chief Mark Shuttleworth has revealed the name of the next Ubuntu release - Meeky Meerkat. Er, well, it's really called Intrepid Ibex and will likely arrive in Oct. as Ubuntu 8.10. It sounds as if Intrepid Ibex will center on laptop features such a tool to switch automatically between Wi-Fi and dial-in services. "A …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Seán
    Linux

Bono

That's why he's banned from the zoo in the phoenix park the filthy swine. Then he used to hang around the papal cross worrying the deer. Now he's off pestering Africa, hasn't that continent suffered enough.

2. andreyvul
    Coat

Which horns

"impressive male horns"

upper or lower horn(s)?

3. Ben Schofield
    Coat

Good one, moneybags!

Somebody at Canonical must be having a field day making up these names. I've a feeling it's Moneybags Shuttleworth, because if anybody else suggested those they'd be administered a heel to the face for coming up with such STUPID names. I mean come on, even 'Vista', 'Knoppix' and 'Yellow Dog' aren't a scratch on Ubuntu's release names for the dumbest operating system name award. I can't wait for their next release, the 'Rodney Apple'.

B

4. Adam Williamson

He's been got to

Oh, dear. It seems the strategy boutiques have got to Mark.

I'm a bit worried, really. I mean I suppose we'll have to compete with this fearless goat, but I haven't got a clue how to go about "re-engineering the user interaction model". Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

Alright, I kid. I know exactly what that means...

"Upgrade to GNOME 2.24".

5. Tom Simnett
    Pirate

@ Ben Schofield

Maybe you'd like to take that one back, given you've clearly not given thought to how you envisaged future versions be named.

You know, at least Ubuntu have a naming *convention*, that other suppliers of operating systems seem not to have. Windows 3.1, 3.11, 95, NT 3.51, NT 4, 98, Me, 2000, XP, Vista anyone? Whatever next.

Also, Rodney Apple is hardly a likely contender, is it? Given that an apple is a fruit, and Ubuntu use animals, and the fact that your alliteration abilities are clearly lacking. Come now, lets learn what alliteration is again, shall we?

Skull and crossbones, for those who type without thought first to what it is they are trying to say.

6. James O'Brien
    Coat

@Ben Schofield

Heh I have to agree with that one on the names though I dont know about 'Rodney Apple' I use Ubuntu at home on my laptop and have to say I love it but with the ammount of pr0n I have on the rest of my home network I cant wait till I can say im using an OS with the name of 'Fleshy Knob'. :-/

/mines the one with the horns

7. J
    Linux

Damn...

"Hardy Heron" and "Intrepid Ibex"?

I was hoping for "Horny Hyena" and "Insipid Iguana" or something like that. Great system nonetheless. Maybe I'll upgrade before we get to "Putrescent Penguin".

8. Alan Donaly
    Linux

These dumb names are not so dumb

it's marketing of a kind it does sort of stick in the mind Ubuntu is an odd name too I think it's good it's at least non-threatening and I can't think of anybody who does Linux who has more visibility and name recognition including RedHat. On the other hand I think they are going to run out of names.

9. This post has been deleted by its author

10. David Haworth

@J

Before Putrescent Penguin we have to have Nasty Nematode, which I for one will be avoiding :-)

Can't wait to hear what the 'J' release will be called. Jubilant Jabberwocky?

11. evil tom
    Happy

good system for users thinking of switching

the naming system is perfect branding for users thinking of switching from windows but hearing only about linux from the rather intense types who began with gentoo because they liked compiling their own kernel. (there are three words in that sentence no one in my family would get probably.) plus, it's a good system for anyone who wants a system ready to go without much tweaking.

so what's next?

jovial jackal, kinesthetic kangaroo, lucky lark, maladapted macaque...

the silly names and alliteration also help it stand out in the crowd. they are friendly, whimsical names. operating systems don't have to sound like the latest in cyborg hunter-killer technology.

12. Michael Sheils

Future Names

I'm looking forward to getting my hands on Loopy Lemur.and Petulant Peregrine.

13. Phantom Wibbler
    Thumb Up

My Twopence

Just had to re-install windows XP on my desktop the other week, took me the bext part of a couple of days before the last security update was installed. Also decided that this was a good opportunity to try that Ubuntu thing. Installed and updated in less than two hours. Pretty impressed really.

Not sure about the silly naming thing, though I reckon the whole thing is a bit of a lark (or is that lusty lark?) for those who have a sense of humour installed. They should be applauded for offering a good, free operating system with silly names.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

@Evil Tom

Damn, and I was routing for Testy Terminator!

15. Charles Ullman

Goats do Roam

Also, "Goats do Roam" is the name of a wine from Stellenbosch in South Africa, where Shuttleworth went to university, "fact-fans".

And obviously the name of the wine itself is pun on Cotes du Rhone.

16. Robert Brockway
    Go

@evil tom

"the silly names and alliteration also help it stand out in the crowd. they are friendly, whimsical names. operating systems don't have to sound like the latest in cyborg hunter-killer tech"

Exactly. Just look at the code names given to kernel releases. They are really silly but hardly anyone hears about them.

17. Aidan Samuel
    Unhappy

Hardy Heron?

I was hoping for Hungry Hippo.

18. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Ubuntu

These names are so stupid I spent all evening and night yesterday uninstalling Ubuntu from all sixteen of my servers/desktops and four laptops and put Windows XP back on them. Everything worked fine and I'm even giving Vista another go too as I think, like it or not, everyone is going to have it.

19. Matthew

@Charles Ullman

Fairview Wine Estate, home of Goats-Do-Roam is in Franschoek (next valley up), and Mark Shuttleworth went to the University of Cape Town, not Stellenbosch University.

</pedant>

20. Nat Pryce

Networking is not the biggest problem for laptop users

I've had no problems with networking when using Ubuntu on my laptop. However, X configuration when plugging in monitors is a complete disaster area. The design is completely illogical, so it's no wonder it's unreliable: testing it must have been impossible.

21. Charles Ullman

Corrected

I stand corrected. Thanks.

22. anarchic-teapot
    Flame

@AC

If you're such a snob as to choose your OS simply on the basis of whether of not you like the name, remind me never to work for your company. I don't mind which server OS gets used, but I like choices to be made for sensible reasons.

Ubuntu's fine for many uses, and it doesn't demand up-to-the minute, expensive hardware just to run. XP is OK, providing you've got a fairly recent PC with lots of RAM and you turn the eyecandy off.

23. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

One rule for one...

'Also decided that this was a good opportunity to try that Ubuntu thing. Installed and updated in less than two hours. Pretty impressed really'

And yet if it takes that long to install XP, people are up in arms. Also, why do Ubuntu seem to think people want a new OS every 6 months? Release a product, make it work, make it stable, add new features to the existing one if you want but why a whole new version just to implement new features? And what about the support for these products? I remember Ubuntu saying gutsy gibbon would be supported for at least 2 years - with so many different versions how will they manage this exactly? If you find a problem with 7.10 or want something that is in 8.10 chances are tech support are just going to say -' it was fixed in x.xx, upgrade to that version' instead of fixing the problem. Not really support is it?

Personally I really don't want to have to do a complete re-install every few months just to stay current, and no my XP box does not require me to reinstall every couple of weeks like some people seem to think, but then I know how to use it without it becoming infested with all kinds of crap. It has been stable for the past 2 years without a problem and I use it every day.

24. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

@One rule for one...

Are you 100% missing the point !?

They do LTS, so you don't have to upgrade every 6 months - and even if you do stick to the upgrade cycle, it's just a click of a button (not a complete re-install), come back an hour later (time taken to download, etc.) then job done; okay sometimes is goes wrong, but that is computers for you isn't it !

But, the advantage of the 6month cycle is to keep the product fresh, adding goals for new features and generally drive the product forward... unlike M$ who only send a product out every few years and you have to wait years until the new features are introduced - and at least they are also honest that some of the non LTS versions are "bleeding edge", rather than M$ who package the beta version as their main product and see what problems there are (vista).

Anyway - we are talking about technology that evolves and develops everyday. You sound like your talking about your OS like a pair of slippers "well, they have worked everyday for the past 2 years, yes they are warn out, and I've patched up the holes, but I really don't need a new pair, these are really comfy"

25. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@One rule for one...

Totally agree with Anonymous Cowards comment in response to 'One rule for one...'

I upgraded Ubuntu using Synaptic (like Windows Update). It tells you there is a new version available and with one click of the mouse the upgrade process was under way and completed in less than an hour with no intervention. Not a command line in sight!

I couldn't believe how easy it was. Before I started I was thinking 'this is surely going to go horribly wrong and I'll be in for an evening of command line hacking to fix it' but I was wrong.

I can really recommend Ubuntu to any OS user considering a change. You don't even need to install it to try it out. Just download the 'Live CD', burn it to a cd and boot from the CD to give it a no-obligation trial. If it doesn't work for you don't use it. If it does give it a go.

26. Chris Hawkins

South African Penguin Power

I'm a Ubuntu fanatic through and through!

I admit I've had problems getting the onboard wifi and sound to work on my new Acer laptop, so I'll be pleased when Intrepid Ibex arrives if there is improvement on the wifi front.

But I'm surviving and working and thriving and am a lot happier with Ubuntu Gutsy on my machines.

I was in Franschoek last November, lovely place...Not many Roaming Goats though.

However, a day later I was visiting the (Tux)... Sorry!.... Penguin colony just south of Simonstown on the Cape Peninsula and saw a sign in the Car Park...

Picture is here on my blog......!

http://barlaventossouthernafrica20tripblog.blogspot.com/2007/09/penguin-power.html

You can see where Mark´s sense of humour originated, ekse!.

I wonder, however, what happens after we get to letter "Z" and "Zooming Zebras"?

27. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

RE@One rule for one.

No it seems to be you who are missing the point. Checking for updates and installing them, regardless of how painless it is is not the same as supporting the version you are running. There are many reasons why you would not want your OS to change every few months so in answer to the comment

'You sound like your talking about your OS like a pair of slippers "well, they have worked everyday for the past 2 years, yes they are warn out, and I've patched up the holes, but I really don't need a new pair, these are really comfy"

Yes you are damn right. Many things I do require the underlying OS to be the same - a solid base to build everything else on, sometimes for years on end. My clients would not be happy if something that used to work suddenly stops because the updated kernel screws something in their code up because it acts unexpectedly. Not every system has to evolve. Some systems just run for years until they are superceded by the next generation, it is a simple case of if it isn't broken - don't fix it, but that doesn't mean they may not need security updates for newly discovered vulnerabilities.

28. Ru

Name limit

Well, they won't be running out of names for a good few years yet. And after that, why not just wrap around to AA again? a 13-year naming cycle is hardly going to cause confusion after all.

Alternatively, add an extra word. Angry Adolescent Aardvark, anyone?

29. bobbles31
    Thumb Up

Highly Recommended

I've started using Ubuntu at home and found it really easy.

For anyone thinking of dipping a toe in, download VirtualBox (an open source Virtual PC equivilent) mount the Ubuntu ISO and have a play.

Also, Virgin Media (love or hate aside) mirror the ISO Images so if you have their fast broadband you can get the lot in about 10 minutes. Unless you torrent in which case you can get it even quicker.

I'm just plucking up the courage to now install Ubuntu actually on the box rather than using the Virtual Box. Unfortunately I am a C# dev by trade and well, they don't have decent version of that on Ubuntu yet ;)

30. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

X's

I'm just waiting to see what they come up with when they get to X...

31. Shaun Winfield
    Paris Hilton

RE@One rule for one.

*SIGH* - Oh Anonymous Coward, I feel sorry for you. You're obviously a very angry and confused individual... I'll pick up on just a few of your misconceptions..

"Checking for updates and installing them, regardless of how painless it is is not the same as supporting the version you are running" - So using this logic Windows is in your bad books too? O/S Vendors should support a version by not updating it? Weird.

"Many things I do require the underlying OS to be the same - a solid base to build everything else on, sometimes for years on end." - You really hate updates eh? Once again naughty Windows too with those filthy service packs. I guess you could.. I don't know.. NOT INSTALL THEM!!! Just stop clicking yes to updates.

"My clients would not be happy if something that used to work suddenly stops because the updated kernel screws something in their code up because it acts unexpectedly." - Oh dear lord why would you update the Kernel in the first place then? Just don't do it..

My suggestion to you my confused little friend would be to pick the latest LTS release and to turn off the updates.. or just click no when the nasty machine asks you if you want to update.

There is a difference between providing support and issuing updates to an O/S.

Paris because she like totally gets computers more than you do, even if she has difficulty saying no.

32. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@ Ru

Ubuntu has already been through the 'H's twice. Hoary Hedgehog came a few versions before Hardy Heron. It's been my home OS since Edgy Eft and I've not had to reinstall yet - just upgrade through Synaptic each time.

33. Colin Critch

Untrue about c# on ubuntu

My c# code is running fine on ubuntu. Mono works on kubuntu feisty well if you write you code with Cross-platform in mind. Of course you have to do all you debuging in Visual Studio or Sharpdevelop. :-)

34. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

what was F ...

Footling Fanboi?

35. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Shaun

Updates to an OS should not mean having to have a new OS

36. Jeff Dickey
    Coat

Don't talk back to Ubuntu 15.10

With apologies to The Coasters.

(Mine's the leather one, signed by Dub Jones and Carl Gardner)

37. David S

Re: Xs

Xanthic Xenomorph

(That's yellowish alien to you...)

38. IanPotter
    Linux

@Shaun

"Updates to an OS should not mean having to have a new OS"

They don't. Packages in any release stay fairly stable, with no major version changes. Bug/security fixes get backported to the released version. The LTS versions as stated previously offer updates for up to 5 years (server version) which is a fairly decent lifespan. You will only get updgraded to a newer release if you agree to it when update manager says a new one is available or you make a manual change elsewhere. One of the uses of the code names is to make sure you don't have a release upgrade happen unexpectedly, unlike Debian stable which changes when a new release happens.

39. Shaun Winfield
    Linux

@Shaun

I'm glad it's not just me who has trouble understanding where our Anon' friend is coming from.

Personally I can't get enough of the new releases, but I'm easily impressed by new whizz-bang features every 6 months.

40. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Risque Rodent to Zonked Zebra

All I can say is they are getting thru the alphabet PDQ. Either an awful lot of bugs to fix, or an awful lot of time to waste. Rodney Apple sounds like a stayer to me. More so than Ducted Hamster.

Animals are nice aren't they. <cough>

41. kb9aln

New naming convention and Breezy Badger

I think it might be a good idea to keep using animal names, but put a culinary twist on them. In the southern U.S., "Succulent Squirrel" would be a sure winner.

I also have sympathy for those who complain about the 6-month release cycle. Recently, I tried to update a Breezy Badger Box (BBB?) for a friend. It had been working well and the main objective was to upgrade Firefox from 1.5.x to 2.0.11?

Turns out that Breezy was no longer supported, so I could not upgrade Firefox in the normally painless manner. Looking at the package/update manager, there was an upgrade to the LTS release, but that would not go. It needed to update Breezy first with "security updates". Unfortunately, the required Breezy updates were not available - they had been removed from the repositories. I looked around the web for alternate repositories, but found nothing.

I then upgraded Firefox manually, which was somewhat of a pain. The locations of the binary and the plugins were different, and had to go through the mess of troubleshooting it and setting up symbolic links for the plugins. The next day I read that there was a major security flaw in Firefox 2.0.11. I still have dents in my skull.

Now it looks like I will have to download an ISO, burn it and then upgrade it (Breezy) that way. While this is time-consuming, it sure beats constant updates to "accessory software" required for Windows, and updating Windows itself.

Next time, I'll be more alert to the life cycle. But it still is frustrating. Perhaps a yearly update would be better? I put Ubuntu on my friend's machine so that I could just let it play without frequent intervention. Now I know better.

42. John Cobb
    Linux

@ What was F

Feisty Fawn

I have been with Ubuntu through:

Edgy Eft (what's an Eft?)

Feisty Fawn

Gutsy Gibbon

Missed Dapper Drake

And am looking forward to Intrepid Ibex

43. richard
    Alert

Doesn't anyone get it?

Ibex are 'Longhorns'.

Sheesh

44. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

@what was f

Feisty fawn...i use it at home and still think its a bloody good OS...my wifi works, sound and graphics card all function as well as they did on windoze..if not better with Compiz fusion installed.

Even my missus is finding ubuntu easy...definatly one of the best OS' for end users to change to.

45. T. Scheisskopf
    Dead Vulture

My Offering:

"Strident Striped-Assed Baboon"

Get my coat, gherkin, silver plate?

46. Demian Phillips
    Go

My vore for O

Orange Orangutan.

47. J
    Linux

Re: X's

How about Xenophobic Xenopus?

(what? can't use scientific names?)

48. NetNeo
    Paris Hilton

@Anon!

Perhaps waiting till the releases get to Clueless Crab or maybe even Idiotic Imbecile may suit you better! (Yes I know, Imbecile isn't an animal but if the cap fits!)

Updates happen for ALL OS's, but the Ubuntu ability to do this painlessly including drivers, installed software as well as the OS works well for me. Ubuntu rocks as far as I am concerned and it really does what it says on the tin - "just works"

As for the naming structure, the animal references are obviously a little light fun which can be lacking in the industry. More important are the version numbers. I can't wait for 8.04 to release (For those that don't know that converts to Year 8 Month 04!) A perfect way to see how up to date/far behind your version is. BUT the update cycle is up to you. You DONT have to update to a newer OS.

"'Also decided that this was a good opportunity to try that Ubuntu thing. Installed and updated in less than two hours. Pretty impressed really'

And yet if it takes that long to install XP, people are up in arms."

I think you got this wrong! XP takes up to 2 hours to install then two days for all the updates (including the updates to updates!!!!!!!) Ubuntu from start to finish (that's a total bare metal install AND all updates - including any software, drivers AND the OS) is two hours MAX!

Canonical are doing a grand job! I for one say keep up the good work!

Paris because she is the original Feisty Fawn

49. Andrew
    Thumb Up

Ubuntero

Ubuntu is fantastic. It's getting to a stage where even my friends on Macs are starting to take a look and say "What? I could have run that on my PC?"

It's so nice to be able to have a centrally managed administration. I want to update my server. I've gone from edgy eft up to gutsy without any major issues. The updates within the release are incredibly stable. I tried doing a 'yum update' on CentOS and spent half a day fixing everything it broke. Ubuntu was like that back at Hoary.. but it's moved on.

I'm even running the alpha5 (pre-release) version of Hardy Heron on my laptop.. and it's yet to crash on me. If there's something you feel you can't live without- post your idea to brainstorm.ubuntu.com. That's the beauty of it. It's not their OS, it's ours :)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like