back to article Cuba lifts ban on computer sales

Cuban president Raul Castro has lifted the country's ban on the sale of petit bourgeois merchandise like computers, DVDs, video players and other consumer electronics goods. So ends years of technological prohibition placed under the regime of his brother Fidel Castro, which had classified the electronic devices and appliances …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. mark11727
    Paris Hilton

So the revolution wasn't televised, then...?

Paris, just because...

2. Fred
    Thumb Up

Really?

2008 and they can now only finally get on line legally?

Wow....

3. vincent himpe

cubans don't need toasters

they have plenty of sun. bread becomes toast after a few hours outside...

4. LaeMi Qian

To Russia with love

Dear Russia,

we now have televisions and have seen Reality Shows, Game Shows, Pre-election Campaigns and Car Commercials. Any chance of getting those missiles back?

Regards,

Cuba.

5. The Other Steve
    Joke

Top Notch!

Now there's no reason not to emigrate there in order to live under a less oppressive regime ! And while I'm there I shall plot with the Cubans to mount a military campaign to bring Democracy to the UK.

Re - fucking - sult.

6. Morely Dotes

@ mark11727

It was not televised *in Cuba*. I remember seeing it in California, however.

7. Chad H.
    Unhappy

@ Fred

North Korea's even more restricted... They had a mobile phone network for a while, but the government recalled every single handset and shut it down... Internet there is like hens teeth.

8. Daniel B.
    Thumb Up

@fred

They could get online legally, that's what the "cyber-cafe" schemes are all about.

What this means is that they can now do that from their own home... though I don't think that would be viable 'till Chavez gives 'em the phat pipe; I think the entire island's bandwidth is something akin to an E3 link.

9. Nexox Enigma

Microwaves but no toasters?

Last time I checked both of these appliances draw about the same amount of power, and I doubt that a toaster would be used for a significantly larger portion of each day than a microwave.

Governments really need to employ more engineers to make decisions...

10. R Callan
    Linux

Hang on a moment

Cuba is just now going to allow consumer computers, but at the recent ISO shennanigans regarding MSOOXML they voted from the beginning to approve without comments.

If, at the time, consumer computers were not permitted in Cuba and MS systems are really only consumer items, then what were they doing even being members of the standards committee?

11. Herby
    Joke

Cuba, ISO, MS-OOXML, etc...

There is of course a "simple solution". Bill Gates could just BUY the island, lock, stoc, and barrel. Give him something to do in his "spare time" after he "retires" from Microsoft.

Pure charity work, if you ask me.

12. David Pollard
    Coat

They had to wait ...

... until Phorm/Webwise was available to monitor internet users.

13. Chad H.
    Alert

Cuba/ms links

considering that I'm sure I remember Reading an article that a major us hotel chain had to barr some folks with Cuban links cos of that embargo, I'd be suprised if ms' software could be sold there without getting bill into a lot of trouble.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Pirate

Cuba, the final frontier...

....just you wait for the new and unusual Cuban virus/spam writers to emerge and bring down the evil capitalist empires.

It will make Nigeria seem like Silicon Valley.

15. amanfromMars Silver badge
    Alien

Big Stakes Hi Rollers .....Rocking IT. Is there anybody in there, out there? :-)

"There is of course a "simple solution". Bill Gates could just BUY the island, lock, stoc, and barrel. Give him something to do in his "spare time" after he "retires" from Microsoft."

He could also stake Role Model Citizens to Ease Cuba into the MainStream and Advise the MainStream on how to Handle Emerging Cubas with Access to Quantum and ITs Internet Technologies. Their use of Technology will not be Guided by how IT works only by what needs to be done for IT to work. They will QuITe naturally look to Find Source and easily Crack Codes that only harbour toxic information/unpleasant secrets and those Doors which Open with Beta Relevant Future Information. It is a QuITe Unique Life Changing Event for IT to Host and Server and Apply. Would that be a Human Decision to be made, and if so, what Human?

An Interesting Test Bed is Cuba. A people with only Imagination and/or Virtual Guidance to show them their View of the Wwwider Digital/Binary Mastered World ....... which we can Provide to them in an XXXXtraOrdinary Rendition/Doctored Signal/FutureVU ...... Virtual U.

BroadBand on the Run......... and Running Hot XXXXPatriot Drivers. Are you XXXXPerienced Maestros.

How likely do you think it is before IT starts to Think for You too and with U2?

Now there's a Leading Irish Question to Tempt Bono dDeeper into Imagination which is True.

16. richard
    Go

Toast and Jam?

so they can buy a pc but are not allowed to use toast? how the hell are these poor bastards supposed to create their own audio cd's? or backup their software?

roxio helpline anyone?......

17. TeeCee Gold badge

Re: Hang on a moment.

That'll be the same reason that Sudan and Zimbabwe get to sit on the UN Human Rights commision and tin-pot, landlocked states get a vote at the International Whaling Commission. That fine old political mechanism known as "Buggins' turn".

18. Nick Miles
    Coat

Mobile Phones

Back in teh late 90's I worked on the design for a prepay mobile phone system for Cuba. Amongst the strange things about it was that everyone would get given credit fro the govt monthly towards the cost of calls in Pesos and could then top up in USD separately if they wanted. Of course USD were not official currency but the govt sponsored telco glossed over that fact. Things all went well until they discovered that the hardware we were intending to use was HP kit and at that stage it all fell over. Because HP were an american company. (dual core? no, Dual standards!)

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

lol

Cuba makes PC's legal just as Britain and the USA have entirely different ideas.

20. Anonymous Coward
    Heart

Cuba

Most of the restrictions on Cuba are due to the US blockade. Not only did this mean that US goods should not be exported to the Cuba, but also the US goverment dictated to the rest of the woprld they should not either, otherwise the US would not deal with many of those companies.

However, due to the fact that Canada and much of the new oil rich South American Sates have stuck up two fingers to the US, many people got around this.

And I'm sure the US will get lovey with Cuba, now they have found a massive oil field just offshore.

Of course the worst thing that could happen to Cuba is they let to much American "culture" in.

21. Craig Mulvaney

Internet in Cuba

Was on my honeymoon in Cuba in 2006 and could use the internet in the hotel no bother. You had to pay a little old lady to log you in, but that was all!

Oh, and there was a mobile network too, no problemo senor.

22. Steve B

Doubt if they could afford them anyway.

Had a great holiday there, but visiting the town was educational to say the least.

The public infrastructure appeared fine, with good main roads and money sunk into the tourist industry, but life for the locals was an entirely different matter.

They have a nice climate and a nice natural environment but the homes and conditions they live in are harsh.

Fantastic really. We saw one chap pushing a large drum on a cart and were told he was delivering the water for his "area".

One chap had already told me about his "flat": Most of the "houses" are on the lines of large containers, so if you want to build a house you needed land. You could buy the land or ask someone who already had some and do a cheaper deal. He told me he had asked the person if he could build on top of his house and he agreed and so he had started. He was living there with his wife and child but after a couple of years they still had no proper steps. One takes this with a pinch of salt but sure enough when I got to the town there were all these buildings with new buildings being put on top. As it was different builders and different material and the climate was so good, many of them only consisted of half built walls with roofs, no windows, and sure enough every type of contraption stuck on the side to allow access. Some had proper steps, some had spiral staircases and many just had ladders tied on. There were electricity cables strung out to the houses, but it is hard to imagine PC set ups there. They don't even have prams or buggies. When we queried it with the locals they just said the mothers carried the kids until they could fend for themselves.

One major problem that I didn't really like contributing to was the lack of amenities for the locals. Apparently our hotel beach was the favourite spot in the area and the locals used to come and have family parties on the beach every weekend until the hotels started squeezing them out. One Canadian Doctor on holiday (other bonus point is the lack of brash Americans) spotted a local child drinking water from a rock pool and it was pointed out that because the hotels are A/I even if they could afford it there is nowhere for them to get refreshments as the old vendors have been barred. She went straight to the snack bar and stocked up with take away burgers and chips and cokes and took them back to the locals. Didn't spot her again so not sure if security saw her.

If they want help with these new PCs, I would go!

23. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

No toasters?

Business plan:

1) Open a PC shop in Havanna.

2) Over clock the processor. Modify the DVD drive to accept a slice of bread.

3) ????

4) Profit!

24. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Computers in Cuba

How much did the US embargo have to do with this? The tone of this article and the trivial comments it generated simply highlight the fact that there is no correlation between people having free access to the computers, the internet and information, and their desire to use it enlighten themselves about the history of this island.

The revolution in Cuba and all that has happened since is an attempt to create a more fair and equal society for everyone. I for one would give up access to technology to further this project.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like