back to article Quick scripting for .NET with IronPython

While Ruby and Groovy seem to get all of the attention, there's one scripting language that has been around for a lot longer and that has quietly been picking up in popularity over the long run. That language is Python, and, according to the TIOBE Programming Community Index Python was the language of the year for 2007. While …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Leave off the "if __name__" stuff

I'd suggest leaving off the

if __name__ == '__main__':

line. That's useful when you have a python file that might be used as either a script or imported into another module. It's pretty clear from the way the rest of the code is structured that this code could only be used as a script.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Oh, come on...

It's nice to see IronPython get coverage, and the example of accessing the CLR is welcome, but...

Using a global variable ('excel')? Printing from within a function? Surely you can structure your code better than that...

3. amanfromarse

Ruby

Ugh, horrible code. No thanks.

Ruby's been around longer than Python, btw.

Ruby!=Rails

4. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Re: Ruby

"Ruby's been around longer than Python, btw."

Not from where I'm sitting - first appearance of Python:1991, first appearance of Ruby: 1995 (I don't have a particular beef with Ruby, other than that it appears to offer no advantage over Python and/or Perl)

Oh yeah, agree with the first AC with regard to the use of global variables. Very sloppy.

5. Joe Diablo

Re: Ruby

Ruby only seems like it's been around longer, since it's so damn slow.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

@Anonymous Coward II

yeah, but it looks like the intention is to show how this stuff works, not to produce production code

about time we had some Python coverage...

This topic is closed for new posts.