back to article Sun invites VMware to virtual desktop dance

These days, when you read about a company providing "seamless integration to third-party virtualization technologies," that usually means one thing: a vendor has added support for VMware's software to its own products. And so we find Sun Microsystems following this pattern with the release of Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (VDI …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. trackSuit
    Happy

Hypervisory virtual control.

"seamless integration to third-party virtualization technologies,"

Will this feature be available, by means of a plugin, for users of Governmental Systems? And this would be ESPecially Apt, given that we are told that "the network is the computer" (Brain?). -That quote from 1984. This is No Orwellian scare-thing though, but a missive from Nice Mr John Gage, a mail with an altogether Sunnier Outlook.

2. David Viner Silver badge

Hmmm, and Sun also recently bought...

...Virtual Box.

www.virtualbox.org

Interesting...

3. PushF12
    Unhappy

Sun is greasing VMware users into a Virtual Box migration

VMware users are currently loyal and satisfied and unlikely to do a rip-and-switch, so Sun's plan here is to get noticed and eventually ease people into trying their similar Virtual Box product.

Sun is taking action now because IT people are so completely disappointed and exasperated by the VMware Server 2.0 beta releases that they are considering alternatives for the first time ever. VMware was the first solution, and it was the best for a long time too, but VMware Server 2.0 just plainly sucks that hard.

EMC grafted some middling managers with a Web 2.0 fetish into the VMware team and essentially disfigured the software. Like any other big company, EMC won't back out the mistake because they cannot admit a mistake and care more about their "model" than their customers. The personality and leadership of the original Stanford development team has departed VMware.

4. Nexox Enigma

VMWare --> crapper

Gah, I can't stand the VMWare products now. Verson 2 of VMWare server is all browser based - Like I need another fucking thing to do in my web browser. I was a fan of the server console, which so many desktop oriented virtualization products lack, but now its got to be all java-applet-using-98%-cpu-in-my-browser. Thats JAU9CIMB for short.

Now I've got to go investigate Xen or VittualIron, since VMWare apparently doesn't want me to use their software any more. That and ESX is somewhat more expensive to test out, since it refuses to run on cheap hardware.

Gods, I hope Sun doesn't bastardize VirtualBox too badly, because I actually find it to be somewhat useable in its current state.

5. b shubin
    Dead Vulture

See, change

so now Sun is offering features for Windows on Sun virtualization management products, before those features are made available for Solaris or UNIX/Linux?

sweet. when does Sun turn into Dell? can they publish a schedule for that, so i could sell the stock short?

the world needs another me-too MS systems provider (think Unisys) like a fish needs a bicycle. any bets on the name? Sunsys, maybe...

dead bird icon because, well, duh.

6. Juan Casares

VMware Server 2 is still in beta

Keep in mind that Server 2.0 is just in its first beta. Be assured that VMware is listening to the beta users - that is precisely the point of a beta.

You can always use VMware Workstation for the best capabilities in desktop virtualization.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like