back to article Microsoft tries to talk its way into VoIP

Microsoft is shouting its way into the VoIP market by extending its small business phone systems to support voice recognition. The ability to run VoIP is being introduced to its Response Point systems through a service pack, which was announced this week but won't be brought in until the summer. Response Point is a …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Shaun
    Gates Horns

If you want easy VOIP.......................

Try Trixbox (trixbox.org) - I was able to get it up and running with virtually no Linux experience, and it's running great. There's a good support community, and excellent documentation (Google for "Trixbox Without Tears").

Best of all it's free!!!!!!!!!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Could be fun

"in order to transfer a call to a colleague. Instead they just say the name of the individual, and the system pops the call through."

"And as I was saying, that Joe Bloggs in accounting is a complete and utter twa... Um, hi Joe, I thought I was talking Sarah in HR, but while you on the l... Um, Sarah your back, well as I was saying that Joe Bloggs...."

3. TeeCee Gold badge
    Coat

Be careful what you say....

........."WANKER!"

<beep> <click>

<nasal female american voice> "Please hold, this call is being diverted to Gordon Brown's extension."

No, no need to get my coat, it recognises my voice when I call it and puts itself on.

4. regadpellagru
    Joke

For real ? Really ?

"Microsoft tries to talk its way into VoIP"

Good luck, Kro ! Probably will end up the same as last time you entered a market with working products on it. Oh, wait a minute, never happened, did it ?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Gates Horns

Easy VOIP with 3CX

If you want easy VOIP for Windows, try the excellent 3CX Phone System (www.3cx.com) No need for Linux or Microsoft proprietary hardware or software.....

6. Geoff Johnson

@regadpellagru

X Box?

7. Kevin Bailey

Beware

We carried out some data processing work for a call centre company.

They invested hundreds of thousands of pounds into all new completely MS based comms kit for a new call centre. It never worked properly. There were several seconds delay in connecting calls and called people would hang up after 4-5 seconds of silence after picking up the phone. There were also other problems.

Over several weeks the comms providers tried everything - but nothing fixed the problems.

Result was that the company went bust - hundreds of people dumped out of work on the next payday - without being paid.

What's galling is that MS would have actually got their money for all the server licenses.

BTW - the old unix based systems had worked flawlessly for years - just some very flashy sales people persuaded the management that Microsoft/VOIP was the way to go forward.

8. Drew
    Gates Horns

@Geoff Johnson

X Box?

Would that be the X Box that made a profit only during one quarter, once, thanks to one game? Me thinks they still have a long way to go to turn that into a going concern.

9. b shubin
    Pirate

Prior art

that's what Cisco Call Manager is for. it's also buggy, erratic and mysterious; it is a Windows appliance; and the support sucks out loud...so exactly like a MS product should be.

MS selling its own messaging product is redundant. it's like getting another piece of organic fertilizer, identical to the one you already have.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

Where does this put their agreement with Nortel?

I thought that MS had got into bed with Nortel, with BT doing the Maintenance and Selling on the ground... is this match made in heaven over?

11. Craig Foster
    Gates Horns

Not on my watch

"Aastra, D-Link and Quanta and software from Microsoft"

If you add Acer to that list, you'd have my "DO NOT BUY FROM THESE PEOPLE" list.

Seriously, we have replaced so many Quanta sites with Cisco Call Manager, and for the price concious there's nothing like the price and ease of a new UCE520.

I like TrixBox, but we've had various issues that forums and mailing lists seem to fix a month after the customer has hit their limit and we've replaced it with Cisco.

This topic is closed for new posts.