back to article Nvidia nForce 790i Ultra SLI chipset

The basic version of Nvidia’s new nForce 790i chipset is the 790i SLI, with the 790i Ultra SLI coming in at the top of the line. Both chipsets have nearly identical features lists and they both support the latest 45nm Intel Core 2 'Penryn' processors. Graphics support is a major part of the deal with any Nvidia chipset, and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

But, Shirley....

("Stop calling me Shirley") ... this, like the previous "Striker Extreme", has the "fusion" block on it 'cause it's intended to be a liquid-cooled board from the get-go? Not using the thing the way it was intended is, IMNSHO, asking for trouble... Sure that w/b is a big hunk of copper with some fins on it, but -- and I'm not a thermodynamicist -- no way can it perform anywhere near as well as a pukka air-to-air 'sink if there's no liquid circulating its innards...?

Is this deceased equus suitably flagellated?

Incidentally, stopped using Asus mobos after the grief I had when building my last current rig -- their support was appalling compared to the excellent service from EVGA (albeit their product being little more than an EVGA-badged Foxconn reference model).

Rik.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Passive cooling....more like water?

The North Bridge block looks like it plugs into a water cooling system which would certainly keep hardcore overclockers happy...

Is the cooling meant to be run passive or only with a water cooling system?

3. Leo Waldock

Not so

Fusion is very clearly offered as air OR water cooling and on Intel chipped boards it keeps the chipset perfectly cool with air rather than water as the medium.

The Asus Maximus Extreme is a water cooled board so if Asus had chosen it could have made this model a Striker II Ultra Extreme.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@AC: "Passive cooling....more like water?"

That was kinda my point, also. According to the marketing blurb on Asus' webbie (written in that strange "murricanese"), it's a "hybrid" which is "H2O ready: {snip}

The Fusion Block System is a more efficient thermal solution compared to competing followers with complicated looks. It is a hybrid thermal design that combines the ROG´s renowned heatpipe design with the additional ability to connect to a water cooling system."

Hmm... not convinced and this seems borne-out in Leo's test.

If I were building a water-cooled rig right now, I'd be looking for best-of-breed, proven water-cooling components and lashing those to a "conventional", air-cooled mobo, probably spending roughly the same amount of moolah :s

5. James Gartland

The LED Switch

I still hate that button. Stupid idea. I wish they removed it - all it does is confuses my customers!

Great board regardless. Ordered one today.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like