back to article Google opens private cloud to coders

Google has opened its cloud to outside developers. Last night, while eating S'mores at an intimate developer gathering dubbed Campfire One, the world's largest ad broker unveiled App Engine, a free service that lets anyone build and run web apps on Google's very own distributed infrastructure. The cool kids call this cloud …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. b shubin
    Pirate

Cross-platform

here's a contest idea: the first one to port Storm or Kraken to Python over Linux, and stick it successfully into Google's cloud, gets a red pill (bullet in the back of the head).

2. Mike

500MB, 200M mega cycles, 10GB * 100,000

Naturally most people who sign up aren't going to use everything. Most people who sign up probably won't ever get their app up and running.

But what does it say about their infrastructure that they have this many spare resources that they can afford to just give all this away as a preview?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

@Mike - spare resources not given freely

Several of the folks in my facility, myself included, tried to sign-up for free AppEngine accounts. Some of us were successful (in obtaining an account) and some were not. Here's the trick: In order to sign-up, Google requires that a supplicant use his/her "existing Google account" credentials to login. Apparently Google has enough info saved away that they can make the decision to grant/deny an AppEngine account based entirely upon one's login ID and password. Makes me wonder what they/Google think that they know about me.

Black gunship, because there is no Freedom of Info requirement that Google allow me to look at my Google dossier.

- The Garret

4. Christopher

Email API? 10GB bandwidth per day? For free?

"Your app can send emails to users, and we make it easy: no SMTP setup, no other fancy footwork required. Just create a Mail object and send it."

Superb. Now I just need a wee bit of Python plus the "bulk data uploader". Finally, no more purchasing botnets for me!

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

You call that a web app container?

As a former long-time Python and now JEE developer, I can say this is the part of Python that sucks most - total lack of choice for well designed web app containers and content middleware. Do Google really think people will write web apps for this?

http://code.google.com/appengine/docs/webapp/overview.html

eg,

self.response.headers['Content-Type'] = 'text/html'

self.response.out.write('<html>Hello, webapp World!</html>')

as if......

6. Rich
    Thumb Up

Can I use it to crack MD5 hashes

Yes?

7. Aubry Thonon

Paraphrasing

<quote>""We expect most applications will be able to serve around 5 million pageviews per month," McDonald said, referring to the preview release.</quote>

So, to paraphrase:

McDonald: Over 5 million served!

8. SpitefulGOD
    Gates Halo

Maybe

When they can be bothered to support anything other than Python and their crap BigTables database. I'll wait for Microsofts easier to use contribution thanks.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like