back to article Adobe launches 'free' Flash-only media player

Adobe Systems today released its cross-platform Adobe Media Player (AMP) as a free download. The software, which was written with the company’s offline web apps platform Adobe Integrated Runtime (AIR), plays Flash-only web videos on Macs or PCs and works as an online and offline application. Adobe said it has inked deals with …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. FRLinux
    Linux

Cross Platform minus penguins

As usual with Adobe, it is win/mac first and possibly in a remote future a Linux version. I wouldn't call that cross-platform.

2. John
    Stop

WinAmp?

Odd name choice, given the long-standing music player WinAmp. Plenty of choice for confusion there, methinks.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Nyeerds

You're right, big companies SHOULD pay more attention to Linux users, what with them making up a whopping 0.000002% of computer users worldwide.

Stick to nerdy Linux pursuits.

4. IanT

On Linux

Not _that_ remote a future...

http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/air/

AIR is in alpha for Linux. Because AIR is what it is, Amp won't need rewriting for Linux; it'll run unchanged on AIR for Linux.

5. Tom Chiverton

@FRLinux

Actually, the AIR runtime is available for Linux right now on labs.adobe.com

6. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

It IS cross platform

Because Linux doesn't count with its miniscule fraction of a percent of market share from terrible geeks.

</controversial>

7. Benny
    Go

@Cross Platform minus penguins

If its using AIR to run, then it is cross-platform - well nearly

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/03/31/adobe_linux_foundation/

8. Stuart Halliday
    Happy

Flash players

But we've had offline Flash Players for years....

How else do I play my YouTube video downloads when I'm off the Internet.

:-)

9. Transmeta
    Linux

adobe launches free flash only media player

Lets wait and see, wouldn't call it cross platform if it does does not support Linux, and by the way to all those who say only 2% of the world uses Linux-98% of all Routers,ADSL modems, Set-top Boxes, Banks use Linux !!

10. Eric Van Haesendonck
    Dead Vulture

Linux market share not so small.

Contrary to what you may believe Linux market share isn't so tiny. I think it is now around 1% if you look at the US market share, but in south America and some European countries it's quite higher!

Even if this means only 2% global market share, 2% of 1 billion computers used worldwide is still 20 million computers, as sizeable market.

AIR is availlable for linux anyway (even if development isn't as advanced as on mac or windows), so the point is moot.

11. Ash

FAIL

http://www.flvsoft.com/download_flv/

Too late.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Microbe

"98% of all Routers,ADSL modems, Set-top Boxes, Banks use Linux !!"

All desperately in need of a Flash player, are they?

"I think it is now around 1% "

One WHOLE per cent?!

13. avenyet
    Linux

unix?

banks set tops and routers use Unix not linux its like saying routers use OSX

now Web servers use linux

but I think the percentage of Linux uses is much higher than "stats" show its probably more in the region of 3-5% but most of these would be classed as Windows users because they dual boot

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Anonymous Coward (RE: Microbe)

And 1% of 100million is...?

Now consider that Adobe claims 800million current desktops installed with Flash...

Considering the huge amount of computers out there, 1% is a lot.

And if it wasn't for the huge amount of narrowmindednessnesses of these organisations, there would be a lot more linux users that previously didn't move because noone seems to care.

Even in this case if its actually a lot more possible revenue for the company in question.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

VLC?

Why would I want a flash-only player, when I can have one player that not only plays everything you throw at it, but is about as cross-platform as an application can get?

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

Paris, because she isn't confused about flash.

16. A J Stiles
    Linux

More about Linux

Linux exists on many platforms beside 32-bit 80x86; PPC and ARM are the xext most popular platforms, but name an architecture and the chances are good that someone has run Linux on it. (ARM may well gain ground in the future, as the patents covering it expire.)

No product ever truly supports Linux unless it is supplied in Source Code form.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Fail + 2

WinAMP with FFDShow (and that other bit of software to split the FLV container)?

18. Anonymous Coward
    Pirate

@Nyeerds

Dude, you're trolling the comments pages of a tech news site. How's that glass house working for you?

19. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Yeah...

But I'm not doing it on Linux... YOU LINUX NERD!

20. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

Au contraire

"But I'm not doing it on Linux... YOU LINUX NERD!"

Yes you are.

http://toolbar.netcraft.com/site_report?url=http://www.theregister.co.uk

21. HFoster

I suggest we take off, nuke the site from orbit...

It's the only way to be safe.

Nerdocalypse 2008. I personally don't give a toss one way or the other.

22. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

No...

I mean I'M NOT RUNNING LINUX you can't-understand-a-simple-premise NERD.

23. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The point of this player is the DRM

DRM is neccessary to get a lot of content on the internet, and isn't going anywhere for things like broadcast programmes where people don't want to pay the costs of permanent ownership up front.

The point of this player, and why it'll get significant market share, is because it's a relatively cross platform player than supports DRM, *and* more importantly timed expiry DRM. And unlike Fairplay, Adobe will actually licence it out to people, making it useful. The BBC have already heavily hinted that any Mac version of iPlayer's download service will use this, and it's very likely any Linux version would do the same.

If I were Apple here I'd be shitting myself, at least until someone can pull Jobs head out of his arse and realise that nobody's going to use something when you won't sell it to them.

24. Geoff Mackenzie

Re: Anonymous troll

Isn't it funny how you can always depend on Windows proponents for your special brand of subtle intelligence? Your keen wit and obvious effortless cool makes me feel so small, geekish and insignificant, such a fool, for using Linux and saving hundreds of pounds on licenses and hardware while simultaneously drastically improving the security, performance, stability and flexibility of my systems.

If only we could all be like you.

25. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Assumption

I don't use Windoze either you berks... I'm BBC Micro all the way baby...

26. Gail
    Boffin

Does it play FLV

does it play flv files?

27. Graham Lockley

Of the Troll...

Im afraid he is one of a very rare species, the platform-agnostic troll. As part of their rites of passage / coming of age / mating ritual they feel a compelling urge to prove that everyone else in the world is stupid/nerdy/misguided. Eventually the testes lower into a mature position and the hormonal imbalance is righted and they slowly adopt a fanbois colouration of their chosen platform, becoming indistinguishable from other NERDS. Enjoy this rare sight ladies and gentlemen.

On the other hand, his frequent use of the term 'nerd' could indicate that he is an O2 PR slug. :)

28. b4k4
    Thumb Up

VLC

I second the VLC comment. And its not "free" as in you pay for it by suffering ads, and having Adobe spy on your stats, it actually really is free.

29. Pat

Lock-out to follow?

Will Adobe then produce some form of FLV that will only work in their player so that we will be unable to use our own FLV players? (I use Media Player Classic+Real Alternative+Ffdshow for everything)

30. This post has been deleted by its author

This topic is closed for new posts.