back to article Dell readies Asus Eee PC, HP Mini-Note rival

An unnamed executive at Taiwanese contract manufacturer Compal has coughed to constructing an Eee PC rival for PC giant Dell. Due to ship in June, the machine full specs are not known. But the stated release timeframe is a clear clue to the sub-notebook's use of Intel's upcoming 'Diamondville' Atom processor. Asus Eee PC 701 …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. abigsmurf

First Atom sub-laptop?

Dell could be onto a winner here if they manage to beat the Eeepc to being the first Atom powered machine on the market. Hopefully they'll go to release it as cheap as possible.

Also hope they release it with a proper hdd. would rather have 30gig+ of slow memory than 2gig of fast.

2. Ash
    Boffin

Is it just me...

... or are the shadows on the Eee PC, the camera, and the lady's face completely wrong?

Shock horror probe!

3. Paul
    Thumb Up

"going forward"

A quid in the swear jar for that one I think. We are not in Powerpoint presentation.

Has anyone else noticed that the Eee PC girl's arm looks photoshopped.

(Thumbs up because it's always nice to see her, even if she does have a weird arm).

4. The_Police!
    Coat

Should it not be....

'Michael Dell can't wait to get a piece of the action with friend' under the picture caption?

Mines the one with DELLY

5. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Lame

Whats the betting the Dell machine base spec will be soe woefull in order to meet an artifical marketing based price point, that you will be forced to douple its price in upgrades to make it attractive

(unlike the EEEPC girl!- what happened to to the Brunnette?)

like the HP venture..... not quite as good or as cheaps as to make you rush out and "buy one without thinking about it"

6. Mark C
    Heart

@Paul & Ash

Thanks for that - I hadn't noticed that the lady had an arm or a face .... was way to focused elsewhere ....

7. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Photochop..

the lighting wierd probably due to them using a big white reflector to add light, however something is deffinatly not right.. perhaps the camera is added?

talking of which it does look pleased to see her...

Mines the one with the big lens in the pocket..

8. b
    Thumb Up

asus have sold 1m?

wow...

just goes to show you the power of this space.

tracking this space here:

http://eupeople.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487

9. Stuart Halliday
    Happy

Wait for Xmas

Come Christmas there will be heaps of models to choose from.

This market is going to be begging for our cash.

I'll resist until much later.

10. W.S. Burroughs
    Boffin

The Shadows...

Hmmm, while I'm often up for a good ol' conspiracy theory, during shooting the 'Geeerl' it looks like sun was overhead & they used fill flash, otherwise her face would have been in shadow. Still, I expect we'll be seeing her again.

11. storng.bare.durid
    Happy

Yay...

EeePC and friend. ^_^

12. Charlie Clark Silver badge
    Thumb Up

How will Apple respond?

El Reg quoted a Sony exec a while back who said that the EEE would cripple margins. If Asus really has sold a million since launch and the main "manufacturers" are falling over themselves to follow suit then expectations of mobile notebooks are going to shift and in a year from now very few people will be looking to pay more than $500 for a compact and very mobile notebook. This may hit the high-end stuff a lot faster than anyone expected.

13. Eric Van Haesendonck
    Thumb Up

Could be interesting if it ships with ubuntu.

It could be interesting if Dell ship a version with Ubuntu (which I prefer over Xandros) and it has a 8.9 inch screen like the HP machine and the future EEE 900.

Price should also be in line with these machines (no more than 400 euros).

14. Chippy-Minton

No HDD please

"Also hope they release it with a proper hdd. would rather have 30gig+ of slow memory than 2gig of fast."

Really? Given that you can add as much or as little as you like in the SDHC slot or USB keys and swap it about at your liesure. You can buy 16GB of either for $40 now and that'll be 32GB for the same amount in another few months and hundreds of GB in a couple years.

Prices of these are plumeting at the same time as capacity is increasing, it makes no sense to land the eee pc with anything but a fast system drive. Whatever else you add will seem small and massively overpriced in 6 months. And 4GB (which the vast majority are, not 2GB) is ample for windows or linux (unless you REALLY want vista).

Also the SSD means you can throw it into a bag and use it anywhere, especially while moving. SSD makes it far more rugged without going into toughbook teritory (and prices). I took mine skiing and HDDs don't work at 3500m....

I don't think you really "get" the eepc myself. I've had mine 3 months and it's the single most useful thing I've bought in years.

15. herman
    Heart

Mandriva Spring is out and fully supports Eee PC

I use my Eeep all the time. The ruggedness and go-anywhere capability is unsurpassed. I have a 16GB camera card stuck in the slot for /home and Mandriva 2008 installed on the SDD with room to spare. It is super fantastic for what I do.

Oh, and Mandriva Spring 2008 is available today - torrents are pre-seeded and running.

16. Joe Stalin
    Happy

Shadows

Look at the back of her legs they are in shadow but as they are in the same orientation as the lid of the Eee it should be in shadow also but is in bright light. So what is going on? dead easy, the beach is obviously on the sea of tranqulity where the took all those dodgy photos of the moon landings ;).

17. heystoopid
    Thumb Up

If this keeps going

If this keeps going , soon when you buy the big super size 17" plus semi permanent desk top notebooks for an extra $50 you get a pursebook unit to go with it , so you can leave the monsters at work and save on the arm and shoulder stretching exercises whilst waiting at Terminal 5 for your lost baggage to catch up to you from the previous last months flight from wherever !

Think of all those two for one adds in the January sales , and the mind boggles at the thought of sales of all portable computers pursebook units inclusive at the rate of nearly a million units sold per day through out the world , truly impressive as we have come a long way since July 20th 1969 and the Intel 4004 !

18. Charles Manning

That is Michael Dell

I think they just p'shopped in the hair and front suspension.

I don't know what ^_^ means, but I'd think either 0_0 or o!o are more fitting.

19. Sikas Aparat
    Boffin

Photochop

I _think_ they did the shot in the studio then added the background, either that or a lot of extra lighting and retouching.

The sun appears to be shining onto the model's left side,

which means the shadows _should_ fall on her right side, when in fact they fall towards her head.

Another odd thing is the lighting on the right arm: in bright sunlight it wouldn't be that dark.

The way the beach mat is lying on the sand looks slightly odd too, although that's not so certain or obvious.

Am I the only heterosexual male RegReader who's bitchy enough to have noticed the cellulite on her left thigh?

20. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Bird's hands

I've commented before about the hands being 'shopped on from "an older model". To be honest they look like my granny's. And she's been dead ten years.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like