back to article Can the Atom help Intel's CEO meet otherworldly demands?

Strolling towards Intel's headquarters, I hoped my meeting with Paul Otellini would not be as awkward as the last encounter with an acting Intel CEO. Back in 2001, Craig Barrett delivered a keynote speech at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas, which required him to emerge from a huge tub of Jello. Intel had hired its …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Mikel Kirk
    Thumb Up

He gets it

The game has changed. The huge new market isn't desktop, servers or traditional laptops. It's time the PC became Consumer Electronics. The MID is just the right stroke here. It's all about getting the third world on in the minimum watts. It's all about forgetting that it's a computer and making it do stuff we want to do like play media, tell us how to get from where we are to where we want to be, and communicate with the people we want to communicate with in the way we want to.

He's also pushing the innovate-or-die philosophy. It's about time. Intel had rested on its laurels for far too long. Hopefully the Itanic will soon sink from sight. It's not visible even now on the Top500.

My greatest fear is that he's too successful. Intel needs competition to drive it to the peak performance we've come to need.

2. amanfromMars Silver badge
    Flame

Phishing with no Bait ..... a Mug's Game.*

"Otellini, however, said that Intel does in fact have something in store with DARPA.

"Watch this space," he told us."

Yes, well, that puts Intel and Otellini in the same mould and in the same position as Bernanke and Paulson.

* Probably in such Contexts here, a Muggers' Game and also equally apt to describe President Mugabe's game too. Some may even say that other President's game too.

Ashlee, whenever he told you "Watch this space", he wasn't casting his eyes to the Heavens, was he?

3. Julian
    Boffin

Only a decade late.

Otellini "Netbooks is a category that we invented less than a year ago and talked about publicly for the first time less than six months ago. And now it has become a category that is the hottest thing on the market today."

Strange, for a newly invented product it's already been around for a while. For example, I've got one that's already 9 years old.

http://www.psionplace.com/hardware/Psion-Netbook-2000-09-05-psion-psion-spec.html

It's got a StrongArm processor in it. You know: ARM, the kind of thing Intel doesn't do (but did) partly because it's less familiar (though orders of magnitude more popular) but mostly because Intel only does the Hottest things on the market.

Not the coolest.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Atoms?

Maybe, but he'd be better off running it in emulation than buying a real one off ebay.

There are just too few people who can say 'Acorn helped me start with computers when I bought an "Atom"'

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like