back to article Samsung chairman faces tax dodging charges

The chairman of Samsung will be prosecuted for allegedly hiding millions of dollars to avoid paying taxes, South Korean authorities have announced. Lee Kun-hee and nine other senior executives were formally accused yesterday of concealing the cash in employee stock accounts, according to The New York Times. Special prosecutor …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Robert Harrison

They say that money can't buy happiness

But it can certainly get you the controlling %.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Wow

"allegedly hiding billions of dollars to avoid paying taxes"

Police were tipped off when he placed an order for a giant matress

3. Chris Miller

There are three things ..

.. that money* can't buy:

happiness;

the respect of your peers; and

the love of a good woman.

* Of course, that's only if we're talking about Zimbabwean money.

4. Michael Jarve
    Happy

"... in consideration of a negative impact on our economy."

And not in consideration of a brand new 63-inch Samsung HDTV that showed up on their doorsteps.

5. StopthePropaganda
    Thumb Down

nothing is safe or sacred anymore

and I liked Samsung products too!

Is there ANYTHING that can be bought that doesn't have a completely clueless, malevolent management these days? Especially evil, hypocritical management that doesn't hide behind hippy-dippy platitudes?

Apple? hardly. Google? Not even. Samsung? not one of the "good guys". HP? The land of "pretexting". Any EU or American government consortium? Don't make me laugh.Dell? IBM? Lenovo? BAE? Oracle? S.A.P.? BP (or whatever they're called now)? Exxon? All have institutionalized procedures and practices that would be illegal if there wasn't the "corporation" and "business secrets" and "multinational jurisdiction" to hide behind.

time to get back to cottage industries and make everything by hand locally or do without, or you end up supporting evil somewhere in the world.:(

6. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

@StopthePropaganda

I think you have to remeber South Korea is not like the west, it is a totaly different culture, BP, HP ect are a totally different kettle of fish when it comes to curruption!

Although greed is greed is greed, regardless, it is the mindset that differs between the east and west

I wouldn't have to address the exec of western Company as Mr.... In an Asian company you do, full stop if you want to be taken seriously. Buying a hooker as an asian exec is par de course, in the west NON!

Money and power mean a lot more in Asia than it does in the west. sad as it is, and as difficult as it is for me to comprehend that such powerful companies are so backwards.

A SK company would not deal with my Coll, as she was a women but would with me as I was a man, even though i have far far far less experience in my field than she does.

Posted AC, as don't wanna screw up fledgling Korea, sorry Career,

7. Tony Paulazzo
    Alien

Well...

Our government could do with being as honest as the South Korean government...

Wow, never thought I'd hear myself say that!

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@StopthePropaganda

"time to get back to cottage industries and make everything by hand locally or do without"

Unfortunately we tried that for quite a while before the Industrial Revolution. It led to rather a lot of "doing without", so people decided that on balance they were better off with greedy corporations in place of grinding feudal poverty, disease, famine and death, even if they aren't perfect.

And as Tony Paulazzo pointed out, there's a strange kind of honesty in a government who openly admits why they aren't going to jail the guy.

9. Ishkandar

@Michael Jarve

"a brand new 63-inch Samsung HDTV" is for the peasants. The higher-ups have higher expectations than a mere TV !! 1% of moneys "saved", for example ??

10. Ishkandar

@StopthePropaganda

There are not too many cottages where you can hand-build a 63" TV though !!

It is also strange how the "do-without" brigade are always the first to scream loudest when they actually have to do without !! Try asking them to squat over a hole in the garden instead of using a modern flush toilet....

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like