back to article Microsoft and Novell to push SuSE Linux sales in China

Microsoft and Novell yesterday announced plans to extend their interoperability alliance by tapping into the increasingly lucrative Chinese market. The software companies said in a joint statement that they were placing "particular emphasis" on the People's Republic to jointly market and sell Novell's SuSE Linux distribution in …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Compensation!?!?

If balmer wants money from me for using Linux then he owes me for years of my life lost due to dealing with windoz.

2. SpitefulGOD
    Gates Halo

It works.

Seeing as you can buy a legit copy of XP in China for $3 I can see why Microsoft has an in bed deal with Novell..... So they can slowly convert all their customers to windows..... Mwah ha ha, and excellent strategy, these poor Chinese have had an inferior desktop experience for way too long, see you next budget.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

Sounds like one big insurance policy

MS shout off about avoiding Linux, then they release Vista to much fanfare, same time they buy into a Linux distro. Vista turns out to not quite be the wonder product it was painted, people are looking at alternatives. The East have already told MS where to get off, so MS starts pushing something that they might interested in. Today the figures emerge that $60 bn are being "lost" to open source software by the traditional markets.

Looks like MS are hedging big time, just in case this Mickey Mouse, "communist", free stuff, might have something in it after all.

4. G Fan
    Stop

Good luck!

"Seeing as you can buy a legit copy of XP in China for $3" ... no you can't. You can buy a picture perfect <i>copy</i> of XP in China, complete with holographic CD and licence key sticker, for $3, but it's no more genuine than this $9 note I have here. You can buy a legitimate copy of XP for $15 (120RMB), though. And yes, people will still choose the fake one because it's 1/5 the price.

For Linux, not so many people use Linux because Windows is so cheap and has all the software (ok, just QQ then) that people want. But when we do use it, we like Red Flag, mainly because it actually works with Chinese, rather than adds it as an afterthought.

SuSE and openSuSE have not the webpage written in Chinese. Doesn't inspire confidence. So I think this is not a serious effort.

5. kissingthecarpet

@SpitefulGOD

I don't understand your comment. On the one hand you say that a *legit* copy of XP is $3 in PRC i.e. its dirt cheap so why wouldn't they have already bought a copy, on the other that they need to be slowly converted to Windows.

The main reason many in the PRC use ,say, Red Flag Linux over Windows surely is that they don't trust a company they see as a US govt. stooge & they have full control over Red Flag, i.e. no NSA backdoors etc (real or imaginary). Windows is great for games, sure, but can you see the Red Army doing Ballmers bidding......Yeah,right.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

GPL3

The GPL3 will prevent this - perhaps these latest moves will encourage more people to adopt it.

7. Paul
    Paris Hilton

Sigh!

Oh well!

After using SuSE in all it's flavours since 6.3, I guess Unbuntu or Mint have got a new user.

I had hopes that when Novell bought SuSE that at a big player was going to push over Microshit'es house of cards.

Another delusion shattered.

Why Paris, 'cos she's not the only tit around here.

8. SpitefulGOD
    Gates Halo

@kissingthecarpet

I believe (from the Microsoft site and el reg) the pricing structure in place in the east is a relatively new one to fight piracy, given the technology sanctions and such in place in china I would presume most machine are underpowered for a windows OS. Although saying that I have never been (although their solar eclipse next year does fall on my birthday so I may visit) so I may be completely and utterly wrong. Plus I'm sure MS would be willing to either open up some sections of the OS or make specific government deals to get a wedge of that tasty pie.

9. jay019

Re: The licencing issue.

Just wondering if anyone can explain to me how a CUSTOMER can be sued for using an OS with (apparent) patent infringing code?

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The GPL v3...

...fixes this and a bunch of other nice issues. It's a shame the kernel can't upgrade at the moment, but there's always hope.

Still, I've used SuSe, and I'd prefer Gentoo any day.

11. G Fan
    Boffin

@SpitefulGOD

The only technology sanctions against China were to do with nuclear weapons and missiles, not computer technology. You can buy all the latest gear in China... with a couple of months delay whilst the drivers are translated.

Stands to reason as it's all made there anyway!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like