back to article Solaris update woos elderly apps

Sun Microsystems has released a fresh update for Solaris, but the 10 5/08 injection may appeal most to users running older generations of the operating system. The update features support for virtualized instances of Solaris 8 and 9 to run inside Solaris Containers. So, you can package up those Solaris 8 and 9 apps and pop …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. J Phelps
    Thumb Up

Update 5 looking good

I really like the direction Sun has taken with containers, leveraging it for supporting Solaris 8 and 9 apps, in addition to just overall goodness for S10 applications.

Also, I was shocked when I got to the end of this short article and there wasn't any snide remarks meant to criticize and insult Sun... hmmm. Oh, now I see, Mr Vance didn't write it, no wonder.

2. Matt Bryant Silver badge
    Happy

RE: Mr Vance didn't write it

Yeah, I mean Ash woulda snuck in at least one dig on the complete lack of compatibility between SPARC and x86 Solaris for a start! ;)

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Itanic lot better - can run PA-RISC and x86 in super fast execution mode

Ha ha !! That's the smell of familiar marketing droids. Unfortunately even HP can't resist listing solaris x86 as a supported platform in the spec of their new DL785. At least Itanic is a lot better that it can can run PA-RISC binaries, and even x86 binaries that customers keep flocking to the HP Itanic boxes. HP marketing droid back in action finding fault - guess what - It's a release from Sun, so it must be bashed until death !!

4. J Phelps
    Thumb Down

matt bryant trolling - at least try and get something right...

granted, "matt bryant" is a troll and he's doing what troll's do, but usually they try and mix some truth with their fiction so that the reader can't tell which is which.

Last I looked at Sun's application source code compatibility guarantee it said my code will compile on SPARC or x86 and run just fine (and it does, so I've never had to ask Sun to fix anything).

5. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

@ Itanic lot better ...

"customers keep flocking to the HP Itanic boxes"

Ha. Ha ha. Hahaha.

Goodness, that was a good laugh to start the week.

Paris digs a 'dome.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Alien

why cant my solaris 8/9 apps run on solaris 10

seems like a really poor way to provide upward compatibility Scooter

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like