back to article Microsoft embraces and extends server promiscuity

A decidedly downbeat Bob Muglia took centre stage at Interop this afternoon to preach the gospel of interoperability according to Microsoft. Looking like he was nursing a cold, the Microsoft server and tools chief was maybe played out from his speech earlier in the day at the Venetian hotel on the Las Vegas Strip, where …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. joe
    Paris Hilton

Not on a NIX admin's live

I almost peed myself laughing! Some how i just know this is going to fall flat. I can just see an IT manager trying to sell this to a sysadmin. Should be funny. The sysadmin responds with "Now IE exploits on the management server affect me; you dolt. No F!@$'in way!!!!!!"

With all the botnets out there i guess M$ is getting tired of owning that dubious extinction. Now since they are joining the hetrogenus enterprise management full force they feel it necessary to include NIX boxes in their botnet family.

Just imagine the smiles on the botnet owner's faces when they have access to way more efficient systems to DDOS and SPAM.

I choose Paris because even she knows a phony without looking in the mirror.

2. Philip J.F. Quinlan
    Gates Horns

"Simplify" unix management

This could lead to great savings, after all if we could simplify Unix management by getting rid of all those complicated switches and things you have to use in the CLI then we could dispense with those expensive Unix admins and get a load of MSCEs in to look after the systems.

So who's going to write the front end for ip then ;) Should be a piece of cake if we just strip out all those things that W2K3 can't do,

3. A F

SSH not enough?

My comment is only related to the part of the article with this sentence:

"This will enable Windows sysadmins to remotely monitor and repair servers running on the main flavours of Unix and Linux."

I might not be an expert in this field and completely off topic, but my work experience includes 6 years of working in Linux / Windows environment (Linux servers, most tools running on servers, Windows/Linux desktops, some tools running on Windows) and all I've ever used to acces a Linux server is a ssh client in Windows (Putty).

Our sysadmins cope just fine with all admin/repair work for servers AND applications running on them using just ssh.

The article IS talking about servers (at least I read it that way), not applications like Web Servers and others, right?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Jobs Horns

re: Not on a NIX admin's live

You'd have to be a pretty lowsy sys-admin to allow a bot onto your main monitoring server.

Personally I think this can only be a good move, 90% of our servers run Linux, they run like a dream and solid as a rock, I would never use Windows on those systems - but our central monitoring server is Windows based, why? its what windows is best at, provides a simple interface, its easy to tweak and the software just works.

As for Philip's comment about replacing Unix admins with MSCE's, I've worked with a few of these and Linux/Unix confuses the hell out of 'em, so actually i think this may do the reverse.

I chose Stevey - he should be the new whipping boy, while M$ are being more "open", old Steve is creeping the DRM and tie-in through the back door.

5. SpitefulGOD
    Gates Halo

@joe

Have you ever used System Centre??? Nope I guess not so shut your Pie hole and get back to rubbing yourself against your box.

@A F

I think this is more for large corps with lots of boxes, the Systems centre just sits there monitoring and informs you of problems or changes that arise so you don't have to keep checking on the machines yourself.

@Anonymous Coward

I concur, I think it will be a while before the Linux lot trust MS but I think they are getting there, having run System Centre on windows boxes I know that it’s stable as and works extremely well saving a lot of time, I’m not too sure how well it would perform on Linux but hopefully for MS sake there’ll be no major issues.

6. joe
    Coat

Right Back @SpitefulGOD

From their web site:

"System Center solutions help IT pros manage the physical and virtual IT environments across data centers, desktops, and devices. "

"I think this is more for large corps with lots of boxes, the Systems centre just sits there monitoring and informs you of problems or changes that arise so you don't have to keep checking on the machines yourself."

Monitor? Manage? Isn't monitoring part of managing? They are not selling a monitoring solution, they are pushing a management solution. You can monitor using other tools that costs a hell of a lot less and you don't have to lower you NIX security by installing something from MS.

To name a few Monitoring tools

Up.time (very nice)

Opmanger

Solarwinds

Etc

Management:

Openview (Insight manager ties into this if you have HP)

Tivoli

BMC Patrol

"Have you ever used System Centre??? Nope I guess not so shut your Pie hole and get back to rubbing yourself against your box."

No i haven't and don't plan to either though i played with MOM. YUK!! Ever used any of the above that i listed?

I guess it's hard to hear whats going on in the real world with you head down and ass up in old Steve's office. SpitefulGOD you should go back to your little windows world and leave the "Enterprise Management" to the big boys. OK? Zipperhead. Ever managed anything else other than windows?? Nope I guess not so sit down you don't know nothing.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like