back to article Sun's JavaFX to hoover-up user data

Sun today announced the yet-to-launch JavaFX programming language will gather data on end-users activities to help developers monetize software, by selling ads for instance. The company's Project Insight will see "instrumentation" added to PCs, mobiles and Blu-ray devices that run JavaFX, which feed data back through a special …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Jeroen Braamhaar
    Black Helicopters

Reality Dephormation Field ?

"Eager to head of concerns about invasion of privacy associated with Insight and Hydrazine, Green and chief executive Jonathan Schwartz said data would be aggregated and anonymized. Also, they said, Sun would not own data."

Did he just emerge from a nuclear fallout shelter after several years of hunkering down or did he spend too much time in Steve Jobs' Reality Distortion Field ?

No further questions,your honor ...

2. Mike Green
    Thumb Down

Another Phorm of data harvesting?

Will companies stop trying to spy on us? Even the 'legitimate' ones seem to think it's a good idea...

3. brian
    Stop

Hydrazine....

... is highly toxic. It kills just about everything it comes into contact with.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrazine#Safety

4. Unknown_Noel
    Alert

I honestly thought this was a joke.

I honestly thought this was a joke, perhaps an April Fool's posted by a severely calendar-challenged staffer.

Why would Sun, still repairing the damage to their reputation caused by hopping into bed with SCO a few years back, propose something this appalling?

I can still hardly believe it's genuine. Are you _sure_ this isn't a hoax?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Pirate

does this sound familiar

Phorm anyone?

Getting my coat now...

6. Mark Rendle
    Coat

Shurely "$un"? - Ed

It's far too warm for a coat, though.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Too many MBAs?

This is a really bad idea. Once they build the 'feature' in the hackers (and NSA) will exploit it.

Sounds like Sun is bending over for Wall Street.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like