back to article Ex-Navy SEAL and nanny 'Otter' does bird over Broadcom

A federal judge in California sentenced an ex-Navy SEAL to prison today after he refused to testify against his employer, former Broadcom CEO, Henry Nicholas. Stephen "Otter" Otten has refused to utter a word against Nicholas before a federal grand jury investigating illegal backdated stock options at Broadcom. The mulish 30- …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Something for the resume

I guess this is one case where spending some time in jail can actually improve one's future employment prospects.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Paul Burrell...

...could learn a trick or two here.

3. heystoopid
    Black Helicopters

So

So , would this not mean , that the company has failed to maintain corporate records in accord with current Senate Records act 2002 , the company's external audit staff are basically asleep at the wheel all the time , more then half the company stockholders are too greedy for the dividend to either notice their stock has been watered down or don't bother to read the annual reports and thus the lists goes on and on !

"Idiocracy" rocks and the brethren acolytes to the "Peter Principle" are multiplying at an alarming rate at the same time !

Oh no , we are doomed , run for the hills the idiots are winning against all odds !

4. Chris Miller
    Happy

Presumably hired so he could say:

"Not now, Kato!"

5. Scott
    Flame

Why?

A Navy Seal like any member of the military offers themselves as the sacrificial element required to fulfil the MISSION; done within the framework of your Country you are a Patriot, outside of that your an idiot.

6. Mark

Two birds, one stone

Send him to Gitmo.

This will have two possible answers:

Can someone be broken by the interrogation methods used? If not, it isn't working and should be dropped.

How resistant are Seals to interrogation techniques. If they don't crumble, you can more fully brief them and make their operational efficiency higher.

And if he does break, the judge gets their answers.

7. E

@Mark

Mark:

That's a fine solution if you support the use of torture to extract information for use in court.

Tell us, though, have you ever contested a speeding ticket or jaywalking ticket? Would the soldering iron or the lash have been more effective at getting you to say what the prosecutor wanted to hear?

Perhaps something more torture lite?

What technique should the police have used on you if you failed to abjectly admit your sin when they pulled you over?

8. kain preacher

@mark

""Send him to Gitmo.

This will have two possible answers:

Can someone be broken by the interrogation methods used? If not, it isn't working and should be dropped.

How resistant are Seals to interrogation techniques. If they don't crumble, you can more fully brief them and make their operational efficiency higher.

And if he does break, the judge gets their answers."

to be blunt that's a dumb ass response. Seals are trained to resit interrogation,. you are not talking about the average member of the public.

9. Steven Raith

Good job he wasn't in the UK Navy....

...they'd only have to take his iPod away to get him to talk.

Steven R

10. Ian

@ Scott, @ kain preacher

Scott;

"A Navy Seal like any member of the military offers themselves as the sacrificial element required to fulfil the MISSION; done within the framework of your Country you are a Patriot, outside of that your an idiot."

You say this as if being a patriot isn't itself somewhat idiotic when we're all the same race and all stem from the same place anyway. This is particularly so in the case of relatively young nations like America which are only a few generations removed from being mostly European or African anyway.

Being a patriot just means you're ignorant of history and the bigger picture. The fact is, I'm no closer to the Queen than I am Kim Jong Il, I've had just as many dealings with them i.e. none.

kain preacher;

"to be blunt that's a dumb ass response. Seals are trained to resit interrogation,. you are not talking about the average member of the public."

To be blunt, that's an even more dumb ass response. Ignoring the fact that Mark's comment was seemingly humorous sarcasm that yourself and E apparently failed to grasp you're also indirectly suggesting that detainees of Guantanamo are just members of the public. If you really think the Guantanamo detainees (some of Al Qaeda/Taliban's finest) as opposed to the average joe taliban from Afghanistan that's sat in Afghan jails isn't well trained also then you're clearly not in any position to comment on such things. The difference is with the Taliban/Al Qaeda they believe no matter what happens they'll go to Allah so are arguably often even harder to break, these are people with no fear of death, no worries and often nothing to lose - breaking someone like that is much harder than breaking someone who has been brought up in Western society. Of course, Seals are going to be trained better than your average joe in resisting interrogation but don't assume that some of Al Qaeda/Taliban/various other terrorist group key figures aren't also equally hard to break.

11. Scott
    Coat

Rephrased it

Actually I'm putoff by the former Navy Seal who is willing to be tossed in jail. Who is now a mercenary. And just so ya'all don't think I'm compleetly a dumb bell wasn't it the "Bard" his self that said a coward dies a hole bunch o' times, but the brave guy dyes once; course now he was quoting Julius Caesar who I have it on good authority was one of his roomies back in the hood. While on this train of hokeyisms let me just say prior to the next stop, that I personally enjoy being able to pretty much come and go and say whats on my mind, and yes things are far from perfect and no I haven't done a much to make it better, the thing is, I'm free and I am thankful and no amount of money could entice me to trade it. Next stop, where that coat?

This topic is closed for new posts.