back to article Renault F1 comp site spills entrants' details

A Grand Prix competition from Renault hit the barriers on Thursday after it emerged that the motoring firm was inadvertently leaking entrants' personal details onto the web. Renault UK are offering more than 600 pairs of tickets to attend either the practice, qualification or the actual race day of the British Grand Prix on 4 …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Well...

At least their web site is performing better than their car...

*ducks*

2. Carl Marshall
    Coat

Fleetwood Mac puntastic subtitle

*groan*

Even worse, it's a coat related band...

3. Fatman
    Unhappy

Renault site spills details

Don't those idiots test their websites???

I bet the web developer wrote that site by throwing bananas at the keyboard.

4. Ben Rose
    Joke

Awesome subtitle

I laughed out loud at that one, nice one John.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Quality control...

Nice to see Renault uses the same quality control on their website as they do on their cars...... both just as crap

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Doesn't surprise me...

...if it's the same guy running their web team as a couple of years back. Renault UK wanted to build a purchasing page for it's members in association with our company. We had the meeting and discussed with them how to do it. After 2 months they decided they couldn't do it and gave us 1 week for our web developer to write it himself.

7. Pete James

Utter rollocks

For the record Renault have always been reactively very good vis a vis data security.

Unfortunately they're not so hot at turning this into being proactive.

But hey, they could of course behave like Oracle. Or Apple.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Not Fixed

This has been bodged, not fixed. I just found the website via Google and the details of a guy called Nick in Derby were given to me, email address, postal address, phone number...

9. Mike Holden
    Thumb Down

Not the first, won't be the last

I notiiced a similar issue on the mailing list page of a well known UK sports team. If you go to edit your details, your member id is used as part of the url to your personal details page (www.team.com/edit?id=1234). Changing the id got you to another user's details.

I emailed them, they responded quickly, taking the page down short-term, and fixing it with a proper system within a few days.

You do have to wonder at the mentality of a "developer" who comes up with crap like that and implements it in a live site though. No doubt a simple download of demo code from an HTML For Dummies site, never intended as a secure solution, just a "how does a POST form work" example..

10. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

non-story

ok a bit of cock up but with the execption of the email address this is hardly sensitive information. name, address, telephone number and postcode? can you say "telephone directory"?

This topic is closed for new posts.