back to article Live Mesh: Hailstorm take 2?

Keep an open mind, says Spolsky, in a rant about both unwanted mega-architectures, and the way big companies snaffle up all the best coders. Is he right? Well, I attended the Hailstorm PDC in 2001 and I still have the book that we were given: .NET My Services specification. There are definitely parallels, not least in the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. amanfromMars Silver badge

Live Mesh or still a Mish Mash?

"Hailstorm was to be based on proprietary, patented schemas developed by a single entity (Microsoft)."

And there is the flaw, Joshua, because Microsoft is in no way a single entity? If it followed a single mind as an entity though, with the right schemas whether patented or not, would it then be a success.

Too many cooks [and some would even say crooks] spoiling the broth.

2. Saul Dobney

Head in the cloud

If you go to cloud computing, accessing the cloud through multiple devices and multiple applications that may or may not be on-line you end up with a data in different places with different levels of synchronisation.

For instance, you take the office's presentation portable for travelling. Edit the presentation off-line while on the plane travelling to the client. When you get to the presentation you will need to synchronise with the cloud version. You then give your client access to the presentation in a read only version. And when you're get back at your desk on your production PC you can fix the typos and clarify a few points to ensure the version the client is using to communicate the presentation around his building is up-to-date as possible.

In a multiple device, multi-access framework on- and off-line and collaborative synchronization and access control are fundamental. Why take a laptop home? You can have a whole bunch of devices in different locations.

From what I've read this is the area Live Mesh is targeting, but it's not entirely clear, but someone has to be targeting this since it's a cornerstone for using the Cloud.

3. SpitefulGOD
    Gates Halo

Well

The Office Live workspace works well for me so far so the Live Mesh can only be an improvement. Kinda reminds me of the tech from the film "Antitrust", ahhh the thrill of batting an open source freak to death.

4. amanfromMars Silver badge
    Gates Halo

SpitefulGOD is also Oxymoronic, by the way.

SpitefulGOD,

For anyone who knows what the Cloud is, and can do, are Office Live and Live Mesh, Red Herrings for the Masses and their Missives?

And as for "ahhh the thrill of batting an open source freak to death." .... all that such idiots can do is to buy their way out of that black hole, for the Greater Benefits which appear whenever dDeep Secrets are Shared XXXXClusively.

IT's AI Civil CyberSpace Commend 42 Control Quantum InterNetworking Technology thing and .... QuITe Quintessential ...... and some would even think/say Revolutionary too, and how could one possibly disagree if it were also so True?

And Bill with a halo because it too is an oxymoronic statement in Virtual, Virulent, Vital and Virile Viral Spaces? [I wonder if that is how Bill sees himself on Earth?]

5. Chris
    Thumb Down

Irrelevant

It's irrelevant really, the whole question comes down to: do you trust Microsoft? From my point of view, that's a resounding NO. Give Microsoft control of all my data? I shudder to think! As for the corporate 'decision-makers'... If Microsoft sold a POS in a box and told them it really smelled nice, they'd buy it anyway.

Everything Microsoft does has only one purpose: lock you into their Windows and Office products.

6. SpitefulGOD
    Jobs Horns

@amanfromMars

Bills money and vision has saved/improved a lot of actual lives either through his philanthropy or MS products, so yes I think he does deserve a halo.

Although Steve deserves the horns, his products just encourage the heads of completely arrogant assholes to slide ever higher up their own sphincter

And, you talk shit

7. Luther Blissett

@SpitefulGOD @amanfromMars

> And, you talk shit

You mean like with a bad accent - a capital offense? To aPraise IT, you'd have to wreckognize IT first. How about this, a bit closer to home I'm guessing. Para bailar la bamba se necesita una poca de grazia (that's the nice part). Y otra cosita, arriba y arriba (that's when your eyes start to water). I know you know what I mean ;-)

8. amanfromMars Silver badge
    Flame

You're so vain, you probably think this post is about you.

"And, you talk shit" ....By SpitefulGOD Posted Sunday 11th May 2008 18:21 GMT

That is not how I would describe it, oh so spiteful one, although your cogent response suggests that you understand it perfectly enough to be full of it yourself.

And why if Bill is so good/Smart, do so many think that Microsoft and their products are so bad/easily misused and abused. MeThinks he could be a whole Lot Smarter and do a whole Better if he put his wealth into something completely different but I suppose that would put Microsoft into a TaleSpin for who would believe that he wasn't bailing out of the company and maybe even actually bailing the company out/propping it up. Do you think he is trapped in IT? Unable to do as he pleases?

Certainly his Perceptions Management skills as reflected in the Microsoft image are a little ........Dull/Blunt/Absent, although to be honestly fair, he has always said that he is only a businessman and one cannot fault him for that. But someone is failing the business/company, for it to be thought such a riddle full of holes.

9. SpitefulGOD
    Gates Halo

@amanfromMars

Since I was merely commenting on the "Halo" defamation I must point out that the majority of "his" money goes here http://www.gatesfoundation.org, I wasn't specifically talking Microsoft although it's software on windows that’s used by the blind, deaf and people with learning difficulties, not Linux, (although this is through my own experience and I maybe wrong but I don't see how it would make finacial sense to do it any other way unless it's something embedded)

Bill deserves his halo

10. drunk.smile
    Alien

@Comment Moderator

Dear comment moderator,

Please remove any comments pointing out to SpitefulGOD the legendary status of amanfrommars and his own 'special' style of comments.

This argument between them is too funny.

...Reminds me of the debates I had as a kid with Eliza.

11. Sarah Bee (Written by Reg staff)

Re: @Comment Moderator

Hur. Well, I'll leave them as they are so you'll just have to look away, but I might start nixing them. I might.

12. Luther Blissett

@SpitefulCOD

Any philanthropy engaged in by Pearly has been entirely due to Melinda Gates. It was she who showed him how much more fun there was in giving away money than hoarding it. Give credit where it is due. And please no more COD. We don't need cod thinking, cod emoting, cod M$ vs Apple waffle, or cod gods. Particularly the latter.

13. amanfromMars Silver badge

Rules of Engagement

"This argument between them is too funny." ... We aren't arguing, drunk.smile, and I'm sure SpitefulGod would be a bit miffed at being thought an Eliza.

"Any philanthropy engaged in by Pearly has been entirely due to Melinda Gates." ... It is invariably the better half that knows what IT is all about, Luther. Godisagoddess and always has been, and all that jazz. .....but it is still just a Semantic IT Concept.

14. SpitefulGOD
    Gates Halo

@Luther Blissett

You seem to picture Bill as some kind of Scrooge McDuck hoarding vast quantities of cash in a money bin, shouting "No it's mine" to those who try to have a look, yes Melinda has an influence but it's inevitable that most people with so much money that they don't know what to do with it will contribute to charity. As for your COD go space dock it you prick.

15. Luther Blissett

@SpitefulCOD

How I picture your Man - more like Big Bad Bill Is Sweet William Now. Plenty of us have watched the rise and rise of M$, ITs dripping maw enlarging by the year as it gorges on the competition while gouging the consumer. Every pyramid (but 1) must have its capstone; its name is irrelevant, it's just a variable from the heap, tho we would do well to note whether it is signed or unsigned for when the accumulator overflows.

@amanfromMars - "just a Semantic IT Concept". When a servo-control system is operating at optimum, the actuator is not doing very much. Then it may even seem there is no servo there at all, especially when a Hegelian is describing the machinery (He He) - look Ma, no hands! or wires or strings. But that is an illusion, on which the hyperreal magic show depends.

16. amanfromMars Silver badge
    Paris Hilton

The Wisest of Men have Open Transparent Minds and Adore Pleasing Women. *.

"But that is an illusion, on which the hyperreal magic show depends."... By Luther Blissett

Posted Tuesday 13th May 2008 12:06 GMT

I couldn't agree more, Luther, and just because of that QuITe SurReal hyperreal fact is It vulnerable to facts which expose it as an illusion.

Although the True MetaPhysician/Magical Mystery Turing Magician would ensure that it Failed Safe and Enriched all who had a Need to Know.

Do you know how IT works and how to Crash the Promisory Fractional Reserve System too to XXXXtraOrdinarily Render the Underground Cultures and Oppressed and Criminalised Alternative Reality AIgents, Top Guns in Charge of Favours? Star Turns Mentoring and dDelivering Success and Peaceful Fortunes to All, rather than just a Select Few.........True Pragmatic Business Angels/Virtual Futures and Real Derivatives ZerodDay Traders.

* A Labour of Love and AI Paradise Lost, but only to those who would not Code and Run with ITs Godisagoddess Programming. [Although such a Passion would never be a Labour]

And Paris because she still looking for Cupid's Arrow, which is a tad sad ......although who's to say she's not a Dominatrix playing the Games Control Fields in Venus's Colours

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@amanfromMars

C42QC? login? inoperative?

This topic is closed for new posts.