back to article AMD to launch 'Puma' laptop platform next month

Intel may be gearing up to release Centrino 2, but let's not forget its arch-rival, AMD, is to release a notebook platform of its own, codenamed 'Puma'. The cat will be let out of the bag at Computex, in Taipei on 3 June. So what's AMD going to announce? Puma comprises a new (ish) processor, 'Griffin', and AMD's 780M chipset. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Looks interesting

AMD is back on track, hopefully.

What I always liked about them was a different approach to the same problem. That used to make them stand out from the crowd.

Do you remember the discrepancy between speed of their old Athlons and PIV? How much more faster they used to be even with slower clock rates. More thinking less brute force. Yes, they needed to cheat a little with their processor speed measurements so customers were less confused.

I like the part that they designed it from ground up - something that doesn't happen too often nowadays.

2. Jamie
    Linux

Sounds good?

But what if you want a laptop like this but running on Linux as Vista is still complete garbage.

3. Matt

re: sounds good

well, first you wait for the chipset and processor to be commercally available, then either wait for a barebones laptop to be offered... or you surrender your Vista licence under the ELUA for a refund (hahahahahaha!) and install Linux on the machine instead...

this is happy cpu news, not an OS bashing excersice!

reminds me of an old Skol advert....

#Trol, troll, troll, troll, troll, troll, troll, troll, troll......#

'whay arnt you singing???'

'Ive forgotten the words!'

:)

4. Andraž Levstik

GIMME THE EEEPC VERSION!!!!

I would SO LOVE having this as an 7/9" eeepc version...

5. Walter Brown
    Heart

RE: GIMME THE EEEPC VERSION!!!!

Amen!

Being an Anti-Intelite, i'll never own (or more honestly pay for) an EEE or other UMPC until i can get one running something other an INTEL CPU. in the meantime, i just oooh and awww the pictures, especially the shots of ASUS performing sand tolerance tests :)

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Apple not happy.

Apple are not happy that a big cat name has ended in the hands of another tech company. With names like Jaguar (cars), Cougar (bourbon) and now Puma gone, look forward soon to "OSX moggie" codename "tiddles".

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like