back to article HP retains server revs and shipments crown

The boom in demand for big, fat data centres built to churn out web-based apps helped plump up worldwide server revenue to more than $13bn in the first quarter of 2008. Companies have been throwing plenty of cash at x86-based server beasts to help flesh out their web data centres, according to a report yesterday from IT …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Please compare apples to apples

Just publishing revenue and/or unit share is not sufficient to make a good article here.

I'd like to hear how Sun, HP and IBM are doing against each other in the Unix wars. What did Gartner show regarding trends.

Also, as Dell hasn't got anything other than x86, how does Dell's market share compare to HP's and IBM's ?

How do the numbers compare to what has been published by IDC or the vendors themselves? i.e. Who's outright fibbing and who's telling a few white lies?

Mine's the dusty 1970's sport coat with leather elbow patches - I think I left it in the faculty break room.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

Units are a bad metric in the new Green world

Customers now want higher value systems for virtualization and consolidation. Highlighting unit leadership should not be a positive. Unfortunately, there is no way to measure virtual machine leadership.

Mr Mojo Risin

3. Nick
    Heart

Fully laden?

Shouldn't these figures be quoted in MIPS or teraflops or summat ?

Quoting literal numbers of boxes is meaningless, you might as well weigh them and decide who got the highest metric tonnage out of Chinese factories and into the data centre loading bay.

Mine's the one with the "I heart Mainframes" on it.

4. John Arnold
    Paris Hilton

Units is nothing without Profit

Everyone is in business to make money (I hope) so I agree who cares about units. Servers are high margin items so for me Revenue is a key metric. Margin would be nice to know too ;-) but somehow i doubt we will see that...

Paris - because she loves IT served up large...

5. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

Eunuchs are a bad metric in the new Green world

Customers now want higher value systems for virtualization and consolidation. Highlighting eunuch leadership should not be a positive. Unfortunately, there is no way to measure virtual machine leadership.

Mr Mojo Raisin

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like