back to article Tech luminaries honor database god Jim Gray

In the early nineties, when David Vaskevitch decided that Microsoft should tackle the enterprise database business, the first thing he did was pick up the phone. He dialed the sharpest software minds he knew, and he asked each one who he should talk to about all things DB. They all gave the same answer: Jim Gray. And each …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Tuomo Stauffer

Jim Gray!

I had the luck to work with Jim a couple of years and can tell, he was the person you can read in this and other articles. And more, our kids were always welcome to his (small) office, he always had papers, pencils and TIME for them. They still remember him after many years. We stayed in contact after going to separate companies but I definitely will miss his Xmas greetings every year and his always nice and immediate answers when I did ask anything, mostly stupid questions. I'm sure that many other besides me did learn that being technically good (not brilliant as Jim) is not good enough, you also have to be a human who understands others.

2. amanfromMars Silver badge
    Alien

No Body...No Death ... No Crime ..... Missing in Action Presumed Dead?

A veritable Colossus and I have never read a bad word said against him. Such Honour Creates Virtual Immortality and the Mystery of his Disappearance does Credit to the Man who knew so Much in Worlds which know so Little.

It is a Truly Bizarre Case, is it not, with no Evidence other than Wild Speculation to Support it?

3. druck Silver badge
    Black Helicopters

Tribute?

"The No-Fly List," Lindsay said. "Brought to you by Jim Gray."

I thought it was supposed to be a tribute? Nobody would want that travesty of liberties to be on their epitaph.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Maybe...

Maybe the Chinese kidnapped him, conspiracy theory time!

5. SpitefulGOD
    Gates Halo

@AC

For conspiracy I would actually say he was taken by the Government to protect his knowledge from the upcoming global conflicts.

but I'm sure he would be great;y missed, shame he never got to see his WWT work released to general public.

RIP

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@druck

Took the words right out of my mouth.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like