back to article Whaling fraudsters harpoon 15,000 victims

Targeted phishing attacks against high-rollers reached new heights over the last two months, according to a study by iDefense. The VeriSign security division recorded 66 instances of so-called whaling attacks between February 2007, around the time fraudsters adopted the tactic, and June 2008. More than one in four of these …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. dervheid
    Joke

Cream of the crop...

Just goes to prove that the top of the corporate ladder is indeed staffed by the cream of the crop.

Cream; Dense (thick) upper layer, s(h)itting on the layer below. Easily Skimmed using the appropriate tools.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Dense Execs

If corporate cheif execs are dense enough to open email attachments and run them then a) they can afford to lose the money and b) they deserve what they get.

3. Graham Bartlett
    Happy

@Dense execs

To quote a very relevant Scott Adams cartoon:

"The Pointy-Haired Boss has become so dense he has collapsed into a black hole. Sadly his thoughts can still escape because they lack substance."

4. This post has been deleted by its author

5. Tim Schomer
    Paris Hilton

@ RotaCyclic

I agree with your sentiment, but in the real world, the execs never end up paying for their mistakes personally. It's usually some poor sod in finance (who's probably behind with the mortgage anyway) who'll end up carrying the can, or they use it as an excuse for cutting the IT budget yet again ("you should have stopped this!!!")

All the companies do then is up the prices of their products & services (usually about 5 times what they lost) so we all end up paying.

Paris, cos I don't reckon she'd ever get caught on this one...

6. Fatman
    Happy

Whaling phraudsters harpoon 15,000

Then payback is in order.

Find these phraudsters, and HARPOON them to a phone pole.

7. PunkTiger
    Joke

@dervheid

Cream isn't the only substance that rises to the top. I felt it's my doody... err... duty to let you know.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Whaling

Whaling!?

Honestly. This has got to stop. Phishing, spear phishing, phone phishing/Vishing. Now whaling. I think the security lexicon has officially become over-fished.

Make it stop.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like