back to article Sun shrinks Constellation for HPC run

Sun Microsystems has suffered from a hate-hate relationship with the supercomputing world over the past few years. The shift to Linux clusters caught the company totally off guard, and resulted in Sun vanishing from the Top500 supercomputers list. That's hardly the "right" position for a company that prides itself on selling …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Colonel Zander

They just barely beat...

systems that are dubbed "homemade" on this list. Sun had a total of four entries and edged out "homemade" - which had only three. I'd like to insert a joke here, but I don't think I can top that one...

2. Dave

Top 500 ..what?

One reason is that Sun has so many commercial customers with large installations that would likely rank in the top 500 but they aren't focused on HPC, only on their work. It's a huge bit of work qualifying a system for the list - not much profit in that.

I would say Sun does a terrible job getting their large customers interested in the list.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

4th is Bad?

So having a 4th place showing is not a good thing? How about coming up with a little more detail on the installation?

4. Mr B
    Thumb Down

HPC

massive amounts of gears to run a couples of tests to get FLOPS mark.

Sorry but companies buying Sun gear are the likes of the Vauxhall buyers, because they don't need a top end car to go to work and work.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

HPC pays for fixed costs

This is what Sun doesn't get. IT development has a huge fixed cost and fairly low variable costs, so a smart company used HPC to sell very large systems at a low price to cover the fixed costs. I guess this is part of why Sun can't figure out how to be profitable and is at a 12 year low.

Mr Mojo Risin

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like