back to article Xandros buys Linspire, says bruised ex-CEO

Desktop Linux maker Xandros is understood to be in the process of buying Linux distributor Linspire. According to several reports, and former Linspire CEO Kevin Carmony, Xandros has bought the privately-held company, which is based in San Diego, California, after stockholders agreed to sell all of Linspire’s assets. The deal …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Flocke Kroes Silver badge

Another one bites the dust

Linspire makes a deal with MS, now they are gone.

Has any software company survived an interoperability agreement with Microsoft?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Maybe it'll stop

the bugger sending me emails, even though I unsubscribed.

Efros

3. J
    Black Helicopters

@Flocke Kroes

"Has any software company survived an interoperability agreement with Microsoft?"

Novell. So far.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Flocke Kroes

"Has any software company survived an interoperability agreement with Microsoft?"

And Xandros.

5. Lewis Mettler

Xandros has a deal with Microsoft too

Xandros also signed a deal with Microsoft. Although I believe you have to pay extra to be covered by that deal.

The Xandros File Manager is the best around and incorporates CD writing and networking all within the application. But, I no longer support the company because of the Microsoft arrangement.

6. rasputinsDog
    Thumb Down

No bog deal . . .

I have used both Xandros and Freespire and neither one was anything to write home about. If any Linux distro would be likely to sell out to M$, it would be Xandros. I expect within the next few years to see them sell out to create a M$ branded distro of Linux. And if anyone thought cnr was a good idea, well kiss it goodbye now, at least the free version, anyway.

7. James Butler
    Thumb Up

It's okay ...

Linspire sucks, anyway. It is a bastard OS by any measure.

Nice long-term vision, Xandros! Bet your shareholders are happy ...

8. Richard Lloyd
    Stop

Will Ubuntu Netbook Remix steamroller Xandros?

It seems to me that the only significant revenue stream that a non-server commercial Linux distro can create is if they get their distro pre-installed on a big-selling desktop/laptop/sub-laptop. Ubuntu is already pre-installed on a few Dell desktops/laptops (though horribly hidden on their site and often pricier than Windows versions because they don't get any special offers) and none of the other big OEMs seem to be prominently selling Linux pre-installed on the laptops/desktops.

This leaves the rapidly growing sub-laptop market and Xandros have done a clever deal with Asus to get it on the EEE PC. But where are the other sub-laptop deals for Xandros? Seems like Acer is going with the obscure Linpus Linux and I suspect Dell are hanging back for the Ubuntu Netbook Remix - see http://www.canonical.com/netbooks/ - before releasing their model. If Ubuntu Netbook Remix takes off, it might sway other OEMs and if Asus decided to jump ship, would that effectively kill Xandros?

9. adnim

Lindows

After m$ fucked them over for using the above name, they seemed to have disappeared and were never heard of. I would not have bent over so easily. The potential was there, hopefully Ubuntu may succeed where Linspire failed.

10. KenBW2
    Stop

RE: "The Xandros File Manager is the best around"

Really? I found it to be the biggest abomination of a file manager I've ever used. That was before I wiped the abomination that is Xandros and installed Xubuntu + Nautilus (Thunar isn't much better either) on my eeepc

11. Eric Van Haesendonck

the only ggod thing coming from linspire is CNR

I just hopes that CNR survives the deal and stays open to other distros like Ubuntu and Mint. This was the best thing to come out of Linspire, as their distros were mostly outdated ubuntu derivatives recently.

In my opignon the CNR is quite an essential piece of software because it allows you to update you software like skype, opera, gimp etc... without having to upgrade your whole distro to a new release (I got into trouble recently trying to upgrade an Ubuntu PC to 8.04 and losing my wireless connection). Often the official repositories don't backport a lot of software updates to older releases, leaving CNR as the only game in town.

Also on the good side we may see a CNR client on the eee PC. As I understand the Xandros distribution on the eee doesn't really have repositories with a lot of software, and adding some unofficial repositories means messing around with sources list and pining, something the typical user won't do. So this deal may improve the Linux experience for a lot of new users in the future.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

LolXandros.

If you've used Xandros on the EEE, you'll notice that it basically IS Windows now. They even have the "Getting updates ruins your PC" part down.

13. Bruce Sinton
    Linux

Xandros

Hello Ken BW2,

I tried Xandros a couple of years ago . Actually paid for it . (Forgive me I knew not was I was doing).

I gave up on it , found it would not install any updates , and they only gave 30 days support.

I now have Ubuntu 8.04 , works quite well,except when I try some things beyond my level of understanding.

Still it's easy to do another install. And no need to worry about that MS thing called reactivation .

Long live that man that lives on the Isle of Wight.

14. Bruce Sinton
    Linux

Xandros

In my previous posting I said Isle of Wight ,I think I should have said Isle of Man.

Sorry about that . I live 12000 miles away.

15. Nigel Kneale

@AC

"If you've used Xandros on the EEE, you'll notice that it basically IS Windows now."

I have, and it isn't.

The Full Desktop looks like any other KDE desktop (because it *is* KDE), and the Simple Desktop looks unlike anything I've used before.

Xandros have a good little product there: Linux for the masses.

Funny how the mere mention of Microsoft stops a lot of people around here being rational.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

@Richard Lloyd

How are the Ubuntu offerings from Dell 'horribly hidden'? On the Dell UK site type 'linux' into the search box and the Ubuntu product page is top of the list. Or go into the 'Home and Office' section and there is an entry for 'Open-source PCs (Linux)' in both the Desktops and Laptops dropdown menus.

As to price: I've just speced out equivalent systems and the Ubuntu XPS 1330 laptop came out £85 cheaper than the Vista version.

Stop spreading uninformed FUD.

17. Peter Mc Aulay
    Flame

MS branded Linux?

Come on, Xandros is mainly Debian with the serial numbers filed off; if that's what a Microsoft branded Linux will be like then I welcome it!

This topic is closed for new posts.