back to article Chinese earthquake hack scammer jailed

A Chinese man convicted of hacking into a Red Cross website as part of a money-making scam in the wake of the Sichuan earthquake has being jailed for two years. Yang Litao, 23, was found guilty of fraud at a court in eastern Jiangsu after he broke into the website in an attempt to divert relief donations to a bank account …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

2 years

Only 2 years?

I'm really surprised he didn't get a bullet in the back of the neck.

2. Carl Carter
    Thumb Up

Round of applause

...for correct use of the term cracker rather than the oft abused term 'hacker'

3. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Good News

People that would prey on others that already are suffering from a tragedy are lower than the bacteria that infest parasites.

4. Gordon Pryra

@Peter Timon

They didnt catch him while he was on the underground....

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Maoism out Mammon in

Its too bad they replaced Maoism with Mammon in China.

They'll put this guy to work trying to crack the Pentagon/Dept of Homeland Security/ power grid systems in a couple years.....

6. Steve Sherlock

Silly Sentence

A whopping 15 minutes of jail time to compensate for each of the dead. This bloke is the lowest of the low - stealing from those who have literally nothing. Throw the bloody key away.

Then again, 2 years in the slammer might well be enough for him to be dealt with appropriately by fellow inmates...

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

well..

>A whopping 15 minutes of jail time to compensate for each of the dead

He's undoubtedly a despicable scumbag, but I don't think there's any suggestion that he was responsible for the earthquake itself.

8. Edward Rose
    Thumb Up

@Good News

Now, now. You are suggesting that these parasites are nearly as low as 'it comes' - they just do it for survival.

Lower than the average politician, perhaps?

Really good to see he was caught, and although he counts very lowly in moral standards the law doesn't consider morals. He commited fraud, that is the crime - regardless of who he tried to defraud.

I'm pretty sure violent thugs typically receive less, which (wait for the flames) is IMHO a much more sick crime. I appreciate people will disagree, but I stand by my beliefs.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Earthquake. Rumbled.

Heh.

That is all.

10. ian
    Thumb Up

"has being"?

A bit more attention to proof reading, please el Reg.

Will the perp be required to surrender a kidney, or other important organs to the glorious people's revolution?

11. kain preacher

well

This is a Chinese prison . Who's to say he will survive those two years. You see the way they treat their labor pool.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like