back to article Sun calms investors with early Q4 dish

Sun Microsystems has issued an early take on its fourth quarter financial results, showing sales figures that have declined from the same period last year. The company, which is due to report finalized Q4 figures on Aug. 1, expects revenue to come in between $3.73bn and $3.8bn. During last year's fourth quarter, Sun pulled in …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Kevin Hutchinson
    Thumb Up

Come on, it's great news!

When they were growing revenues with zero profits everyone said where's the income. Now you're quoting someone who wants revenues. Sure it would be nice to have both, but profit sure beats revenues in my mind. I'd prefer $1bn profit on $10bn revenue than $500m profit on $20bn any day!

2. James Anderson
    Unhappy

Market value < asset value

According to there 10K filing the had 5 billion dolars in cash or cash equivalents and 15 billion on other Assets ( lot of property in there so probably about 10 billion now).

The total market capitalisation is 6.8 billion. This makes it a very attractive takeover target for an asset stripper. Buy the company sell the "brand" off to AMD, CISCO or one of the other aquisition addicts, pocket the cash and sell of the properties and youve doubled your money!

Sun would be a really good investment if they a product line that wasnt overpriced underperforming servers.

3. Lodewijk Bonebakker
    Stop

@Anderson - 2001 called...

... and wants it's meme back.

When was the last time you actually evaluated Sun's offerings? Current servers are doing quite well in terms of absolute performance (opteron), price/performance (SPARC) and performance per watt (Coolthreads).

Maybe you should give the try-and-buy a go....

4. Pierre
    Unhappy

I feel spoilt

Good thing that you added "in earnings per share" to your original sentence ("Net income for this year's fourth quarter could come in anywhere between 5 cents and 15 cents, Sun said."), but why didn't you keep my cheeky comments? You ripped me off my "web 2.0-style" 15 minutes of glory, mean you!

Worst, I actually saw my comments accepted while I repeatedly refreshed to know how you would correct me in a witful manner. Only to see my comments deleted as if nothing happened. You kinda added insult to injury. My lawyer will be contacting yours soon.

PS nice article though. Keep it up.

PPS I maintain: "quarter could come in anywhere between 5 cents and 15 cents" is a serious devaluation of the quarter. Next thing we know, the dime will be worth 4 cents.

5. Sarah Bee (Written by Reg staff)

Re: I feel spoilt

I'm so sorry, Pierre. Would you like to have a guest column to make up for it?

6. Pierre
    Heart

@ The Mighty Moderatrix

"Would you like to have a guest column to make up for it?"

Thank you Mistress, but this worm is not worthy. Plus, that would be *work*, wouldn't it? This worm wouldn't be making a fool on itself in El Reg's comment section if this worm felt like working. Please don't whip this worm too hard.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like