back to article Vultures circle over IT jobs

Big IT firms are likely to do better from the credit crunch than smaller suppliers, as greater economies of scale allow them to offer cheaper prices. Overall IT budgets are stabilising after recording big falls in December and April. Goldman Sachs, which surveyed 100 CIOs at Fortune 1000 firms, warned that there is a risk of …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Jon G

Vista ?

I'm surprised Vista came in at number 34 on the priority list - I can only assume that were only 34 entries on the whole list ?

2. Roy Jensen
    Pirate

Bloody amazing...

...and to think that the IT division at my localle is just seeing the light and beginning to outsource IT -- because big business is doing it! IDIOTS!

Roy Jensen

3. Gordon Pryra

@Jon G

At 33 was "Buying cheaper tea bags"

and 32 was "Making contractors supply their own keyboards"

4. John Latham

Economies of scale?

"Big IT firms are likely to do better from the credit crunch than smaller suppliers, as greater economies of scale allow them to offer cheaper prices."

That may be the case when you're buying hardware and off-the-shelf software but economies of scale in services? Not that I've ever seen. Bigger vendors charge more because they are less likely to go bust (which also means they have the cash to counter-sue when the project goes titsup).

5. Vikash Joshi

@Jon G and Gordon Pryra

Or in our case, get rid of the plants as we pay a company £7k a year to look after them.

Global Finance company? Not when sign off for anything more than £500 has to go to a senior manager.

6. Kevin Kitts
    Thumb Down

@Jon G and Gordon Pryra

no, #33 was "go out of business".

This topic is closed for new posts.