back to article Cisco welds Linksys into one SMB channel prog

Cisco is merging its Linksys small business channel with its own reseller channel, to present a unified SMB partner program worldwide. Small and medium businesses present a big growth potential, Cisco notes. But as everyone notes, SMBs are difficult to reach and can be expensive to service. This is why resellers come in so handy …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Quality?

It is nice that Cisco wants to help the little people, but their ASA devices are too expensive for small business now that they are eliminating the PIX line. Their attitude is all high and mighty when you meet with them to tell them they need a product without all their crap dumped in it. I used to not have a problem recommending their Linksys products for home uses or employees, but I have seen so many of the routers, specifically WRT54G series, die because the lights flickered and the firmware gets blown out, that I have trouble doing this now. Since Cisco too over Linksys, I have been under whelmed by the product line. I had expected it to get better. Netgear makes a nice looking product, but it is too complicated for many home users. We have been looking at the Nortel devices to replace Cisco, and not only have they been very cooperative, but they have a fantastic product. Their switches have better performance, and to top it all off, they are cheaper products that let you do more. In addition, they are willing to let you learn on equipment and will give you all the training materials. Switching from the Cisco IOS to the Nortel one is simple. If I was Cisco, I would be more worried about my core business than expanding home products that I probably would not recommend to anyone anymore.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Linksys suck these days anyhow

I liked their first and second generation wi-fi and Ethernet products, but they've cost reduced the kit to the point I won't buy it and tell people to buy Netgear instead.

Cisco's SMB kit - Catalyst Express for example suck even worse, I wouldn't wish that crippled stuff on my enemies, again Netgear or HP Procurve stuff does the biz.

Re the first comment, the ASA5505 is priced OK, but the the SSL VPN they're pushing everyone too sucks because it's licensed separately and priced at $$$, I work for a Cisco Partner and keep losing firewall deals to Netscreen and SSL VPN on Netscaler, highly annoyingly Cisco still don't have a 64 bit IPSEC VPN client so I can't sell the old solution either to any customers with Vista / XP 64.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like