back to article eBay wins right to not police counterfeit goods

A court in Belgium has thrown out a complaint by L'Oreal that eBay was not doing enough to combat sales of fake versions of the cosmetics giant's products on its site. The court ruled that eBay did not need to take proactive action to stop such auctions, although eBay was keen to say it does take down such auctions when …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Aristotles slow and dimwitted horse
    Stop

Who...

Buys that sort of vacuous shit online anyway?

Surely you'd just go into a shop in the high street.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Is it because....

.... ebay is worth it?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

eBay doesn't give a toss

I've told them a million times about cameras (high end Nikon and Canon) that are obvious frauds. Hours later they are still up. These are normally the 1 day accoutn hijack frauds. eBay still then charges the original account holder for selling 'a brick in a box' to some smuck thinking they're getting the deal of the decade.

eBay just does not care as long as someone gives them money (letgitimately or not). And Paypal are just as bad.

Paris - she buys the real tat, her videos show she doesn't fake it :-)

4. Highlander
    Paris Hilton

@AC regarding PayPal

PayPal are just as bad, because PayPal are Ebay as well.

The sooner this online flea market runs headlong into the great crushing wall of reality the better. Something happened to Ebay. Somewhere along the line it went from being a place where you could find ordinary people selling ordinary stuff that they would otherwise be selling at a yard sale (car boot sale for those in the UK). Now it's a place full of rip-off merchants, scammers, phishers and counterfeit goods. The ebay fee structure is now so distorted and just plain crap, that many ordinary sellers and small, genuine merchants have been forced into selling items for ludicrously low amounts and jacking up the delivery cost to make a penny or two.

Paris, because she knows a thing or two about tat.

5. Andy Bright

Quite right too

The Carnaby Street of online shopping should hardly be expected to police such things. That would be like expecting Dellboy to police goods that fell of the back of a van.

Besides I've always reckoned that one piece of tat is more or less the same as another, so what does it matter if it's real or not? People should whine less, they went online dumpster diving and as with the real thing if you get something good that's a bonus.

I take pride in my PS3 that's shaped like a non-functioning toaster. Especially as it only cost 43p.

6. The Cube
    Pirate

Whatever happened to free trade and globalisation?

So, let's just get this straight shall we?

"'unauthorised sales' of perfume - better known as grey importing - sales of products in a different country to that specified by the manufacturer."

So, rich 'fashion house' are allowed to have their product made in slave labour conditions in the third world and pollute the local ecosystem to extinction whilst they are at it (assuming Coca Kila didn't get there first). They can then ship this stuff to their target market and sell it for 10,000% mark up. Of course, they are price gouging so they want to sell it for the maximum their customers will bear, which means fixing prices in different countries. Now here comes the rub, it is fine for them to exploit a 'global market' and the poor people in third world countries but apparently doing the same to them and exploiting their arbitrary price differential is illegal? Remember, none of this is knock off kit, it was all sold at their prices. A cynic would come to the conclusion that the reason this is 'illegal' is because they are rich and nothing to do with legal principle or ethics....

7. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

ebay is..............

Trailer Trash marketing. At least they are all in the same place so at least you can pick and choose who you loose your PayPal too........................

8. Maty

tat?

I needed a battery for a particular type of laptop- I looked for a reputable dealer on eBay and got an excellent product in good time at a reasonable price. Characterizing eBay as a tat seller because some of its vendors sell tat is like calling an online IT journal a joke gossip rag because some of its articles have humour and inside information.

But then, when I buy an item I characterize its value for money by whether it performs the function it was made for, not the logo. If it's a good product it's a good product, no matter who made it, and if the vendor is selling an overpriced POS, that will reflect in his ratings.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

eBay--all talk, no action

>>although eBay was keen to say it does take down such auctions when notified by rights holders.>>

Nonsense. Sounds good but they don't actually do it.

Look at ebay item: 250278935912

Told ebay about these more than a week ago and they're still selling them. Totally fake. Their media face says the right things but they don't actually pursue counterfeiters.

10. Colin Millar
    Thumb Down

Diplomacy

Would it not be possible to gather together in a spirit of co-operation and friendship all of the parties to this argument on a luxury cruise liner..........

......and sink it

11. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

The only reason

To buy "designer stuff" off ebay, same as in the local flea market...is to get something that looks like the real thing at fluppence, else go to the Regent street outlet and stop whining....................OH, you dont want to pay the retail price eh?................then accept that, as long as old spice and paris holiday inn wear it, someone will want the look for less......that's the reason Top Shop et al sell stuff based on Armani and Chanel designs, but not exact copies...christ if a dental hygenist with no brain can make a million selling perfume that smells like the Thames at Dagenham, you deserve to be fleeced and ripped off...least the chav's admit to buying fakes

Paris................say's it all with her eyes, looking up at you...

This topic is closed for new posts.