back to article Red Hat buys Qumranet, sidesteps Microsoft

Red Hat has bought Qumranet, the company behind KVM virtualisation technology, for about $107m in cash. The acquisition means open source software giant Red Hat will be able to offer a virtualised platform to Windows desktop customers without having to play nice with Microsoft. Qumranet birthed SolidICE, the firm's take on …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Sarah Bee (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Continue to support Xen not KVM

Thanks Richard, fixed this now.

Cheers!

Sarah

2. Jeff
    Thumb Down

RedHat a Johnny come lately?

Hi Kelly,

Redhat and it's dev. brand Fedora were among the first to implement OS level virtualization years ago.

Do your homework.

3. amanfromMars Silver badge

Ahead of the Game ...or Following Blazing Trails?

"Raleigh, North Carolina-based Red Hat, which alongside Microsoft has been something of a Johnny-come-lately to virt technology, also took a swipe at its other rivals. It claimed it could now “deliver what virtualisation-only vendors cannot: a comprehensive solution integrated with the operating system, which can drive down IT costs while simultaneously enhancing the flexibility and responsiveness of IT infrastructure”" ........ I would dispute their unique claim.

https://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=2471378914199150966&postID=588666672787863513

amanfrommars said...

"zamos said...

Finally Google browser. I hope there will be Google OS for mases soon.

September 2, 2008 12:16 PM"

zamos,

There are some who are using IT also as an Organic dDynamic OS ..... Building an Omniscient Omnisentient Virtual Machinery Driver

September 4, 2008 8:26 AM

4. Yfrwlf

It's just software

Red Hat supporting some virtualization software? Great, I hope they made a good choice and that KVM is the best, or nearly the best, that's out there right now. However, that in no way stops me from installing, say, Ubuntu, and then installing KVM on that.

I guess they are trying to a) use the software to help get their name out by supporting and branding it and such, and b) provide businesses with a recommended choice for virtualization, so that it can be part of their software support "package"? It's a little silly though because they should simply offer support for whichever software becomes the most popular, but I guess that's the point of the acquisition, because they think it will be the most, or one of the most, popular software titles.

5. J
    Coat

Dammit...

I thought this was some story about a Muslim network of religious study or something... I just can't help reading that as Quramnet, sorry.

6. Bad Max
    Flame

"rile the feathers of..."

"In a long-awaited announcement today, Internet rag EL REG disclosed that it has adopted a new editorial policy. 'We have too right like our readers, and there not knowed for good Inglish", disclosed El Reg in the PR.

"Too maintain the interest of reader's in our websight, we have to adapt and grow." New forms of English, presumably.

Do not cast thine eyes up to the hills, and do not look to AskOxford.com for help; you're on your own now (or is that "your on you're own"?).

This topic is closed for new posts.