back to article Fusion-io looks for partners to share SSDs and SANs

Fusion-io has got the SAN bug and is demonstrating shared solid state drive (SSD) storage at DEMOfall and looking to recruit developers to create applications for it. The ioDrive is an flash memory-based SSD with a PCIe interface making it suitable to be a flash cache for servers. HP and IBM have been identified as being …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Matt Bryant Silver badge
    Happy

Ooh! Nice idea.

Looks nice, like the idea of the PCIe interface. I would like to see this tech trickle down into a PCIe card that can plug into ordinary PCs like the old GigaByte i-RAM PCI cards, without the PC needing a whole new filesystem to take advantage of it, but servers sound the right place to start for now. The TMS RamSan devices are great but very expensive.

On a technically quibbling note, surely if the appliance uses GbE or Infiniband then it's a NAS rather than SAN device?

2. eryn

yummy

they've changed their site and introduced a MLC based chip....

the SAN guys are reticent with this tech though expressing their view on a numbers of boards.

however this is sure to strike it with the enthusiasts when it becomes available to the other operating systems.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

Power to the people!

Saying, "Basically Fusion-io has a solution, possibly a very good one, looking for someone else to present it as an answer to an end-user's problem."

Sounds a bit like saying "Basically Nvidia has a solution, possibly a very good one, looking for someone else to present it as an answer to an end-user's problem."

Even though solutions like the TMS RAM products are probably very good solutions they're still proprietary. With only a hand full of these Fusion-io cards I can make my own solution that can compete with companies like TMS. What this means for integrators is now we have a chance to compete or maybe even become the next Alienware, Northwest Falcon or Voodoo. But instead of a graphics workstation company we can become vendors in high performance storage and all this is possible by just using off the shelf PCIe products and servers with our own tweaks and maybe even custom cases.

This topic is closed for new posts.