back to article HP measuring up necks of global EDS staff?

Hewlett-Packard is readying the axe to make job cuts in the UK and worldwide following the tech giant’s takeover of services firm EDS last month, according to the UK’s largest union. The company is set to make announcements later today about its restructuring plans for EDS staff. A “substantial” job cull in Blighty and across …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Dan

Swing that axe

Aim for middle management, you can't go wrong.

2. John Imrie
    Unhappy

Staff or management.

If it was the plonkers the ran EDS getting the chop I'd have no problems. Looks like its the grunts though.

Plus ca change

3. arran
    Dead Vulture

how did

no one see this coming? have we all forgotten Compaq/HP? HP Invent/Synstar?

HP are IT's biggest asset strippers, just a shame their are no assets in EDS worth stripping....

4. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Don't hold your breath...

...for any union to have any effect. - Having personally been on the receiving end of HP's

corporate steamroller, I can assure you that they will do whatever the hell they like, and will

throw money from bottomless pockets at eager lawyers until they have what they want, how they want it.

5. paul brain
    Coat

Unions...

There are IT Unions ???? , I thought Thatcher did away with all those 1970's relics in the 80's.

Cull away HP, but don't let the finance people do it, they often get rid of the best and brightest with random strokes of the pen. Any wholesale changes to dinosaurs like EDS can only be welcome.

Nothing upsets me more than a Union. Gunpoint negotiations often deliver short term gains for its members, but ultimately they prove pointless in the long run, only adding delay to necessary changes and thus reduced competitiveness

It's like keeping an old UNIX server that's been doing it's job for the last 15 years, it still works , but consumes 400% more power and generates a lot more heat, instead of virtualising many legacy systems onto a blade, lowering support, power, cooling and floor space costs.

Well I assume that's how HP will spin the 're-structuring'

6. Gulfie
    Black Helicopters

Inevitable...

... but I feel for my ex-colleagues, this is the wrong time to be cut loose. And not just for them, but for me too! I'll be looking for a new contract shortly, I can do without all those extra people in the market...

Black helicopters because by the sound of it, the first most people will know about it is when the axe falls... presumably these will be of the super-silent variety.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@ Arron...

.....You mean EDS has "some" assets to strip? When I worked for EDS, they owned nothing, manufactured nothing, sold nothing, all software belonged to the customer, absolutely nothing. Even half the workforce were contracted staff from manpower/kellys.

HP cull away, maybe you can deliever my thoughts of revenge I never had the courage to enact upon.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

Sympathy for those affected.

Get rid of the weighty management structures and maybe the bright talented excellent IT grunts at the "coal face" can get on with it. trouble is HP are just going to wield a large axe and anyone caught in its sweeping arc will be gone management and workers alike.

I can just imagine HP looking at area and department titles and saying "ah ... we don't need this one we already have one of them"

My thoughts go out to those skilled technical people and their families who will be affected by this.

Being out of out of work at this time of year is really bad and it is going to be particularly bad this year with the financial turbulence we are experiencing.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Dead Vulture

management

So many managers have been appointed in the Antipodes lately that I thought some bulking up was being done. Unless so many managers have read the tea leaves and departed quietly and been almost as quietly replaced, in the hope the serfs dont notice panic stricken managerial flight. The IT equivalent of canaries, good contractors, are also leaving.

The paperwork, virtual and otherwise, appears to have doubled in the last 3 weeks for even the simplest tasks.

This is usually a sign of reductions in coal face staff in any large business.

AC because I want to keep my cool and my career is dead.

This topic is closed for new posts.