back to article Seagate tries again with external drives

Seagate has updated its FreeAgent line of consumer external hard drives with new, fetchingly encased and higher capacity models. The current line gets FreeAgent Classic branding. Last year's FreeAgent desktop and portable external drives came in somewhat garish dark brown cases with sodium lighting orange highlights. They also …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. CrackedButter
    Paris Hilton

As far as I'm aware

This website ends with a co.uk suffix. So why prey tell are the prices in $ and with the internet living in the age of 'Web 2.0', why isn't there a link provided to either a shop selling them or a link directing us to Seagate. Sloppy reporting methinks.

Paris because even she can see the link.

2. druck Silver badge
    Stop

Cara<spit>vans

Don't mention caravans.

3. Mad Hacker
    Thumb Up

Caravans = Travel Trailers for the Yanks

Just so people don't get confused, in the UK, travel trailers are called caravans.

Why they used the term caravans in an article and US dollars for prices is amusing, and probably just there to annoy someone liked CrackedButter.

Well done.

4. Flocke Kroes Silver badge

@cracked butter

The new Reg layout means you can reduce the width of the browser, hide the adverts, and see some of the Paris picture you have on your desktop. Just for a moment, maximise your browser and you will find the "most wanted storage" panel. Click on Seagate free agent, and you will find shops with prices in £'s.

5. Jason Clery

price

"FreeAgent Go Drive -$120 for 250GB, $150 for 320GB and $2340 for 500GB. "

How much?

meanwhile

"FreeAgent Desk Drive - $130 for 500GB, $150 for 640GB, $230 for 1TB and $280 for 1.5TB (available in October 2008).

FreeAgent XTreme Drive - $159.99 for 500GB, $179.99 for 640GB, $259.99 for 1TB and $299.99 for 1.5TB (available in October 2008. "

Who is going to buy the Go for $2340 when you can get the Desk Drive for $130 or the Xtreme for $159

6. Peter Mc Aulay

RAID 0-protected?

Spot the contradiction: "WD also offers a RAID 0-protected Mirror Edition My Book"

7. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

But can you...

...still stand them on their side? I don't mind if they are stackable (as long as they don't overheat) but being able stand them upright saves desk space.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Alien

Re: RAID 0-protected?

I think they got it right... you just have to read it along the lines of "Raid no-protect"

Typical marketing though - ignore the technical bits and just say what sounds good!

I think that they should do a linux version too... and make it cheaper!

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Classic Range

Means... old stock.

10. Steven Knox
    Boffin

Mirror Edition MyBook

"WD also offers a RAID 0-protected Mirror Edition My Book"

s/b

"WD also offers a RAID 1-protected Mirror Edition MyBook"

WD's site implies that you can choose RAID 0 (striping), but makes it clear that you lose the protection that RAID 1 (mirroring) gives you.

AC, Please check the original source before complaining in the future -- or at least identify yourself so that we can avoid you. Thank you.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

@mad hacker

"Just so people don't get confused, in the UK, travel trailers are called caravans."

And while the Americans call the people who live in them trailer trash, in the UK we call them F*cking gippos

12. Barrie Swan

RAID 1

RAID is not backup.

at best it can only help maintain uptime

or availability of the data.

Backup all data even if RAID 1/5/6 etc.

13. Henry Cobb
    Thumb Down

Missing platform

The most important information to me was missing.

Can I reformat the suckers and used them as dumb disks under Linux?

If so, with which interfaces? I don't have anything else to plug into my laptop's firewire interface so what kind of perfomance would I get with that?

And where's the benchmarks?

14. James Pickett

Improvement

"fetchingly encased"

Thankfully. The previous ones were hideous, especially the freestanding upright desktop version. American styling is weird.

This topic is closed for new posts.