back to article Tandberg's RDX blockbuster

Tandberg Data looks to have a major success in waiting on its hands with the ProStor RDX QuikStor product - 90,000 drive docks have been sold in less than two years. ProStor's RDX is a removable cartridge containing a 2.5-inch notebook hard drive, up to 500GB in capacity, in a ruggedised case. It is slotted into an internal or …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Oh RDX, not RDX

I thought you ment RDX as in Cyclotrimethylenetrinitramine

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

>bare metal recovery which tape does not

I've not used tape since I had a VAX, and that was a while back, but can you not boot from tape any more?

What is actually meant by "bare metal"? Mostly a full system restore will involve putting an O/S on the machine to get it to connect to the networked backup storage anyway, and then it's no longer "bare metal" is it?

3. Bronek Kozicki
    Thumb Down

move along, nothing special

Nothing special about it, it's just disc enclosure plus some off-the-shelf backup software. Similar product, but without bundled software, is Crucial SK01 . Not only you do not pay for the software you do not need (there is plenty to choose from), you can also put any 2.5" disc inside.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

where's the analysis

That certainly sounded like a marketing spiel with no attempt to hide it. Any objective data?

I just glazed over after 1/2 of the 'article'...

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

ah. missed that it's 3 pages long

The colours of the links below the story for the next three pages blend in so well with the bottom grey bar that they're easy to miss. Hence my earlier comment about it being a product advert, as the first page read like that

6. Tim Parker
    Thumb Down

@where's the analysis

Yep - bit better than the CDP article but still smacks of brochure regurgitation and a very quick glance at some IDC stats.

Nothing reallly new here either... (thinks) but I wonder if GaryA will wade in here and take these comments out of context again - hmm

7. Gary F
    Flame

Most expensive 2.5" hard drives in the world

The 300GB cartridge has a street price of around £250, that's over 4x the price of a bare 2.5" drive. There is no clever proprietory connections or interface, or even sophisticated electronics in the cartridge. It's just a mainstream 5400rpm 2.5" drive in a plastic case. It should be possible to crack open the case and replace the drive with a faster 7200 rpm drive to increase read/write speeds, or, maybe a Velociraptor, either costing less than what Tandberg charge for an average performance drive.

Don't get me wrong, RDX is an excellent product and very reliable, but Tandberg are having a laugh charging £250 for a simple plastic case surrounding a £50 drive.

8. Bronek Kozicki
    Flame

what? There were more pages?

I missed that too. El Reg, you need to make page numbers more visible!

9. AJ MacLeod
    Thumb Down

Hard disks for backup?

Given that the single least reliable component of a PC is IME the hard disk, I'm not one bit tempted towards using them for "backups"... will stick with LTO for a while yet, I think.

10. Ron Luther
    Thumb Down

Bottoms Up?

Links to additional pages in an article need to appear at the 'bottom' of each page of the article. They can appear at the top of each page as well, but that is optional. It's bad UI practice not to have them at the bottom at all.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Links..

If the text were stuck in div's with the hidden attributes set accordingly for each page then there would be no need for the multiple loads and we could have a "show all" button as well..

I suppose it's for the advertising though?

12. Robert E A Harvey
    Thumb Down

re-print the press release

The software seems to be windoze only, and the web site for the product is remarkably light on details - what the host interface is, for example, and whether it is hot-unpluggable, or whether it has to be software released first.

Your text says that the module is ruggedised, but laptop style hard disks are pretty delicate things, and I would have thought it would take quite a lot to make them really reliable enough for the purpose.

It seems to be a non-product, really. Not an el-reg story at all, just advertising.

13. Serp

I remember this from the 90s!

I remember in our office we had a Tandon 386 system with the ejectable hard drive blocks... sure it's the same principle!

This topic is closed for new posts.