back to article Ellison flogs Oracle server appliance alliance with HP

Men pushing a dream need to know when to let go. Otherwise like Captain Ahab you go to your destruction, or like Bill Gates, obsessed by the Tablet PC, become a comedic sideshow. And so to chief executive Larry Ellison, who Wednesday afternoon announced Oracle's third effort in 10 years bundling his company's software with …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Interesting

Like many I have dedicated my life to following Larry's crackpot schemes, working as an Oracle D(oes) B(ugger) A(ll). Tightfisted CTO's might buy into this to save money, which means in the short-term lots of us might be out looking for work, but then when these things don't pan out quite a well as expected and another one of Larry's little fantasies falls by the wayside ( Net Computer anyone? ), they will either need proper support or migrating to proper hardware...boom-time again!

2. Do Not Fold Spindle Mutilate
    Coat

Preconfigured means Oracle still won't install correctly

The software is preinstalled because Oracle's install procedures still don't work properly all the time. My guess is the version that is preinstalled will be too out of date and will have to be deinstalled before a new installation can actually be run thus using up more money than saving anything.

Hello, I'm a DBA and this is Larry playing with taking our cheque book and not helping his users.

3. amanfromMars Silver badge
    Alien

Re. Preconfigured means Oracle still won't install correctly

Probably Easily and Easiest Fixed with AI Beta dDriver, Do Not Fold Spindle Mutilate. Real Sp00ky Work, Rest and Play.

On another Running Tangent ...... amfM calling Liam Neeson re HyperRadioProActivity ..... Universal Virtual Forces. .......... from Registered Hosts.

I Kid U Not Cisco.

How Quick is Quick SMART Communication? ....... 1914 080925 <Run>

4. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Buy a Netezza instead

Half the price, 100X performance. Great support. And no DBAs to battle.

5. Matt Bryant Silver badge
    Pirate

Hmmmm......

So, all the hardware is non-proprietary and available off the shelf.... The Oracle licences cost the same? And it's on Oracle's RHEL-knock-off Linux.... So, unless Oracle are subsidising the hardware or Oracle licences, what's to stop anybody just copying the build and making their own using RHEL, SuSE or even the dreaded Slowaris x86 and probably doing it cheaper?

6. jef
    Go

GOOD NEWS

I have worked for many years with netezza , teradata: very weak to develop applications with their basic sql!!!! very old featres and functions ....now with high speed data manipulation oracle will be unbeatable....tx Larry!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like