back to article NetApp signals recession kick-off

Batten down the financial hatches - NetApp has put hiring plans on hold, and is seeing customers putting off spending. CEO Dan Warmenhoven says it's spreading like a nuclear chain reaction from the automotive and financial sectors. It's hardly a shock, though - how could financial institution implosion and bailout with a …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Maybe next year...

...will be the year of ZFS.

As budgets are getting tight next year, no.one wants to shelf out money for Netapps overpriced NFS stuff. anymore.

Oh, and I certainly will look at rolling out ZFS on our servers connected to EMC DMX boxes. With transparent compression I will double our capacity by 2.5x without paying EMC a dime.

Great times ahead!

2. Solomon Grundy

No Surprise Here

What were they expecting? The "new/knowledge" economy has basically been propped up by the overvalued IT industry - in fact the IT industry (including "the Internet Bubble") helped push the "new economy" forward.

The unfortunate part is that IT has been overvalued from day one: for the same reasons that people bitch about high-real estate prices, and demand they come down to a reasonable level; businesses have been saying the IT people/stuff are too expensive and have to come down to a reasonable level. We're all playing the same game you know.

NetApp is experiencing a market correction and we've all played a part in this required correction... We all demand higher wages while we are making too much money on the backs of every person with a retirement account (cause that's who is paying for this mess).

It all sucks, but after the changes are over and lots of people have had their heads brought out of the clouds we can do it all again! Capitalist societies depend on people being able to "swap classes" and this is how its designed to work, by rearranging who is in which class. We'll see if it works this time, it always has in the past...

3. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

And now there's more bad news...

http://blogs.sun.com/dillon/entry/more_on_the_netapp_litigation

"NetApp Patent No. 5,819,292 - And late last week, we were informed that the PTO has rejected all of the asserted claims of this patent relying on at least two separate prior art references out of the many provided by Sun. (The examiner felt that to consider the other references would be "redundant".)

Some may recall that the '292 ("WAFL" technology) patent was what NetApp's founder, David Hitz, originally highlighted on his blog as being innovative and infringed by ZFS. However, what this litigation is proving is what we have known all along - ZFS is a fundamentally different, game changing technology."

Netapp lol

4. Matt Bryant Silver badge
    Happy

RE: Anonymous Coward - Maybe next year...

"....Oh, and I certainly will look at rolling out ZFS on our servers connected to EMC DMX boxes. With transparent compression I will double our capacity by 2.5x without paying EMC a dime...." Lol, that is until Sun is forced to admit ZFS is just a clone of WAFL, and then NetApp get to come round and smack anyone using it with a nice, fat licensing fee. I bet Warmenhoven's legal eagles are hoping next year is the year of ZFS too!

5. Anonymous Coward
    Heart

Sorry Matt

Your trolling is wearing thin, and increasingly looks like Sun won't be paying anybody any license fees for patent infringements or anything of the sort.

Deal with it.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like