back to article Unisys cranks out kicker CMOS and Xeon mainframes

Server maker Unisys is today announcing its second generation of dual-core ClearPath mainframes. These use the company's own CMOS-based mainframe engines and new midrange mainframes based on Intel's Tigerton quad-core Xeon 7300 processors, sporting the same OS 2200 and MCP operating systems that run on the CMOS iron. A lot of …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

they'll be ok

As long as they can run Mapper (BIS). Lurv it.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

umbilicals

The Clearpath range has always supported a wintel or loonix box dangling from its nethers. Thats nothing new.

MCP is a fantastic OS, its heritage lives alongside Unix and the cross pollination is insane - we all owe the idea of dynamic libraries to it as well as thanking it for making virtual memory the norm. Better still those stack-based cpu's run compiled languages such as COBOL, ALGOL, FORTRAN and Java ridiculously quick.

I also have to tip my hat (if I had one) to OS2200 too, its still running real-time transactions at the heart of one of the UK's major hight street banks, shame none of the IBM crap around it can handle it.

3. James Anderson
    Flame

IBM Crap!

Good old zOS boxes have always outperformed OS2000 hardware.

And I fail to see how stack based cpus help COBOL. Much better to have the OS/360 mapping of COBOL verbs to one or two assembler instructions.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

hee hee

IBM still doesn't know what real-time is compared to Unisys. zos is like windoze on a mainframe.

Oops, sorry, just barfed a little....

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like