back to article French police probe Sarkozy bank fraud

French police are on the hunt for fraudsters who siphoned off money from the personal bank account of French president Nicolas Sarkozy. The French head of state has filed a criminal complaint about unauthorised withdrawls from his account. News of the theft, which reportedly took place last month and involved modest amounts of …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This caught my eye

"When one gives personal information to one's bank, it is not so the information is used for marketing or recruiting purposes, or that it should be divulged here or there," he added.

Gosh, how can he square that with France trying to build a massive database of everyones political affiliations, bank details, registration details etc?

2. Dom

Dumb money mules?

How would a money mule realise that the transfer into their account came from *that* Sarkozy, not some other Sarkozy (and that's assuming that French bank statements

give that much info).

3. Hayden Clark Silver badge
    Happy

Oh, this is definitely how it should be!

"bank might face punishment for not preventing the breach".

If that happened always, I suspect that fraud would be right down......

4. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

Bit of a truism there methinks?

>"Any local money mules involved must have been particularly dumb not to realise that they were doing something likely to bring down a great deal of police attention."

Err, well yes, that is the primary qualification for their recruitment after all.

5. Svein Skogen
    Happy

Good.

Maybe he can drum up an EU directive for minimum security for banks. To protect customers from this kind of fraud.

//Svein

6. Mowds
    Unhappy

Disappointed

Judging from the headline, I was hoping for a story about Sarky being the perpetrator of fraud, not the victim.

7. Chris G

@ Disappointed

Me too!

Has he spoken to his wife/life partner/significant other?

8. stizzleswick
    Coat

Bet it's just...

<rant>...some domestic stuff his wife bought using his EC card w/o asking him first. From what the smallsheets have been printing, Mme Sarkozy is a bit of a maverick... so why make what the USAians call a "federal case" out of it? If it's small amounts, hey, it might even withdrawals by his cellphone provider?

I mean, OK, he's the headless-of-state of the bloody Fifth Republic. That doesn't mean that he has a better grasp on his on money than the rest of us. Probably far less so; at least we, the reigned, know that most of our money goes "poof" into taxes and fees.

</rant>

Mine's the one with the insolvency form print on the back.

9. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Punishment ?

But of course ! That is the main tool or my illustrious President, and just about the only thing he does well. You can be sure that somebody is going to get fired over this, even if Sarkozy has to buy the bank via state funds to get it done.

Whether or not this incident is going to translate to better handling of accounts by the banks for the rest of us plebs is not something I'll hold my breath for, though.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like