back to article IBM, Intel open blade switch specs

Server maker IBM and sometime-server maker Intel partnered in 2002 to jointly create and endorse blade servers based on Big Blue's chassis: the BladeCenter. In 2004, the companies opened up the specifications to the chassis so they could help foster a community of blade, switch, and peripheral manufacturers. And today, they're …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Compaq acquisition causes HP blade lead?

> IBM had hoped that its partnership with Intel would allow it to leapfrog Hewlett-Packard,

> which by virtue of its Compaq acquisition got the jump on IBM in the blade server racket.

mhh... HP's lead in blade market share reflects HP's overall lead in x86 servers, which HP inherited from Compaq. If that is what is meant here then it makes sense. But IBM led the blade market until well after Compaq was acquired by HP, so unless qualified the statement above is simply wrong.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. K
    Thumb Up

IBM switches are already superior to HP

.. for certain things at leat, such as Web and High Availabiity.

When we purchased our blade chassis we looked into all the options from Sun, HP, Dell and IBM, and out of all of them IBM was the only one that offered a switch with layer 2/7 features, for load balancing and offloading etc.

4. Steven Jones

Standards...

"In principle, open specs for a hardware design are always better than closed specs."

Well only in some respects. For the functioning of an efficient market, driving down costs and increasing volumes. It's clearly critical to have these are the main intrerfacing points between components. Ethernet, FC, DIMM, PCIe and and number of others have benefited.

However, this approach has its limitations - the danger is in freezing in obsolete technical standards. A standardising a blade chassis is a vastly more complicated proposition than standardising and I/O interface. It affects any number of issues to do with form factors, airflow, power dissipation, electronic interfaces, power management which interact in a very complex manner. Get these wrong and you can easily stifle innovation as the investment and commercial cost to introduce something better could just be too high.

I don't think the technology in blade servers is anything like mature enough to set anything but fairly short term standards.

5. Matt Bryant Silver badge
    Boffin

Common switches a good idea but unlikely.

It would be great if I could take an IBM switch and plug it into an HP chassis, and vice versa, especially as the majority of the blades switche modules are from the same sources (Brocade, CISCO and Nortel) and even share common core components, but I can't see it happening for two reasons.

The first is that these blades are built to a cost, having tracks, chips and connectors to provide connectiviy for x number of blades in a chassis. The problem here is all the vendors put different numbers of blades in their respective chassis, and then have different points at which the blade connects through to the backplane and the backplane connects through to the switch module. If vendor A has a chassis that has the backplane connectors horizontally in the middle for fourteen blades, but the new common design has vertical middle connectors for sixteen blades, then vendor A has to pay out for a redesign of the backplane and then accept the additional cost per switch module for two sets of conenctions they will never use. This is even before we consider that if vendor A's design has a superior feature that can't be carried across to a common design then they are effectively surrendering an advantage that may be a core reason for their sales, for the limited benefit of a commonality feature that would in effect make it easier for IBM to attack them.

The second is that these switch modules interct in different ways with proprietary firmware in the chassis, so a change of module design may also reauire a complete rewrite of your chassis firmware, and again may force a vendor to give up a superior feature for the dubious added value of commonality.

So in short, seeing as the connections onwards from the different switch modules are all common standards (UTP cabling, FC cabling, etc), it seems like the market is fine with propreitary switches. If IBM was the market leader and had some stellar advantage in their designs then I could see a market push for other vendors to agree a common switch module standard, but at present IBM is not the market leader and they do not have any feature I've seen that gave them anything like the driver necessary for the market to start screaming at HP, Dell and FSC to comply. The only likely taker I can see is Sun as they would actually gain from handing over a chunk of design control to IBM given IBM's superior market position and Sun's linited engineering ability.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Matt Bryant

"sunshiners/hp/lulz/bwhahaha/Scwhartz/IBM/Sunshiners/linuxandwindows/shareprice/lol/sunshiners etc etc etc...."

Boaaarrriiing...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like