back to article Becta urged to find middle way on interoperability standards

The British Educational Suppliers Association (BESA) has called on Becta to offer “clearer national leadership” to help shape schools’ decisions on IT resources. That was the conclusion of a BESA Policy Commission Report, which was thrashed out during a series of meetings at the beginning of autumn, chaired by Charles Clarke …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Dave Bell

Linux is in the toyshops anyway

I bought my Eee in a branck of Toys'R'Us--they have a selection of laptops aimed at the school-age market and the priace was very good.

Like it or not, schools are going to be under pressure. The parents smart enough not to be sheep are going to be asking awkward questions, such as what MS Office can do for the children that Open Office cannot. And how many workplaces are going to be using the current versions of Windows or MS Office when the teens of today finally get released into the job market?

I hope things have changed since my day, but I've seen things which make me doubt any claims of improvement. I wouldn't claim that Linux, or Open Source, is THE answer, but why should Microsoft be any better?

This topic is closed for new posts.