back to article America sacks 240,000 in October

The US Department of Labor released its monthly jobs report just before Wall Street opened this morning, and the news is worse than expected. The expectation was that American companies would cut 200,000 jobs in October, but businesses freaked out a little more than expected and chopped 40,000 additional people from the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Jim Campbell

THINK OF FUTURE BETTER DAYS

The only way to not think about money is to have a great deal of it. To get something you've never had, you must be willing to do something you've never done. Unless you believe you will not understand. www.LikeSoup.com

2. Jodo Kast
    Stop

Wow! Just think..

Just think how much free software they got!

All those developers, writing and writing for hourly wages. The company fires all the developers, and they don't have to pay anything to keep using the software... for free! No royalties, no compensation. What you made, is now theirs. Hope the $10/hour was worth it!

I would love to cash in on the blood of hard-working Americans... unfortunately, I have scruples.

3. Dave

Hold Tight

That's OK, just wait for the middle of January and it'll all start getting better. At least that's what people have promised for most of the last few years. Obama is going to have fun sorting this mess.

4. Robert Pogson
    Linux

In a Downturn Free Software will Survive. Will That Other OS Survive M$'s Downfall?

Pity all the developers hired to make software that costs lots of cash. They will be out of a job when folks decide to switch to free software. Free Software has a growth rate like 50-100% per annum even in a downturn. That other stuff takes a nosedive. If Vista II flops, expect layoffs at M$...

5. Neoc
    Thumb Down

Re: Wow! Just think..

"Hope the $10/hour was worth it!"

Something must be wrong with your figures... I was charging US$50/hr during my USA stint back in '98.

This topic is closed for new posts.