back to article Rambus asks ITC to bar US Nvidia imports

IP-lawsuit-happy Rambus is asking the US International Trade Commission to ban imports of Nvidia products it claims infringe on nine of its patents. The company filed a formal complaint with the ITC requesting an investigation that it hopes will lead to the barring of certain Nvidia kit. It's complaint follows a lawsuit filed …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. kain preacher

ram scum

I hope they lose

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

In other news...

...laughing Rambus execs were seen leaving ATI's offices, trailing loose $100 bills behind them.

3. Svein Skogen
    Joke

Simple solution

I think it's time to ban any electronc manufacturer from importing any device containing semiconductors, silicon, lithium, germanium, or other semi-conductor raw materials to the USA until the US Patent system gets a serious overhaul.

And, at the same time, forbid USofA from exporting any laws or lawyers. Any US lawyer trying to flee the country should be shot on sight.

//Svein

4. Henry Wertz Gold badge
    Thumb Down

RAND license?

so is this legit, or is this yet another case where rambus entered a standards body where all players agree to disclose relevant patents and agree to rand (reasonable and non-discriminatory) terms, but rambus just decides to ignore this agreement. (They already tried this with DDR and lost.)

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Lose?

Why should they lose? I know they may be trolling now but if they truely tried to sell the licenses several times and nVidia didnt pay then surely nVidia is in the wrong here?

And yes I do love nVidia cards too but hey law is law.

6. This post has been deleted by its author

7. Chika
    Happy

@Svein Skogen

"And, at the same time, forbid USofA from exporting any laws or lawyers. Any US lawyer trying to flee the country should be shot on sight."

Why wait?

8. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

@Svein Skogen

Why wait for the lawyers to try and flee the country?

Now they'll be after me for saying that.

9. Keith T

If there was a god

If there was a god, there would be no Rambus.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Re: Lose?

When nVidia believes their controllers do not infringe patents, why on earth would they want to buy a license from a known IP troll like Rambus?

I'd also tell them to take a bloody hike and see them in court

11. Oninoshiko
    Coat

re: Lose?

Maybe because rambus' patents are overbroad, littered with prior art, fail to be novel to someone experenced in the art, or just plain don't apply. If nVidia beleaves just ONE of these, then they should refuse to pay. The dirty bit about US law, is that nVidia can't bring a suit over the matter though, they lack what in US law is called "standing." They have to refuse to pay it and wait for Rambus to sue them.

It's just like if MS sent me a letter telling me I needed to pay them for licensing, I would do EXACTLY what nVidia did... giggle a bit while i drop it in the waste-basket. I'm not useing their product, so bugger off.

Mine's the one with the square made of the letter 's' on it...

12. Kevin
    Happy

@Svein

a little correction to your post

Any lawyer should be shot on sight.

And here is why.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-v5PzE2fIg

13. Nordrick Framelhammer

Another example of the useless US patent system

Leechlike companies such as RAMBUS, who do not actually do any work, are able to survive purely on the real work of legitimate companies. It is a shame there isn't a rule that states that a company must either be producing items or developing items from their patents or they lose them after 5 years.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It is patents, not Rambus

Rambus has been suing others many times and for many years now. They are part of the "Generation X" and see themselves as a think-tank. Back when other companies made it a trend to sue others for millions and billions did they use this idea as their main business strategy. As such do they not only produce new patents for this purpose but also hire people who own patents and turn the patents into money wherever possible. For some this is an ugly strategy but if one wants to do something about it then one better fights the patents instead and not those who make a full use of them. In some ways is Rambus helping in the fight against patents. Let them do their worst, and only then will we be able to see how bad things can turn. And if this is already their worst then how bad is it?

Let the big companies fight it out and let them see how far they can get with a law suit. At best is Rambus serving as the bad example and a constant reminder, and their work might have reduced the total amount of law suits among the other companies. Who knows?

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hmmm...

If I were the ITSC, I'd tell Rambus that they've already made their allegations in court, and until the court case is decided the issue is up in the air, so the should bloody well bugger off before I filed charges against them for filing frivolous allegations.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like