back to article Co-op IT workers vote to strike

Workers for Steria, which provides IT support for Co-operative Financial Services have voted in favour of strike action in protest at plans to offshore their jobs. 93 staff at Steria's offices in Manchester and Skelmersdale voted and were 71 per cent in favour of strikes and 89 per cent in favour of action short of a strike. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hope they win

As a customer of Coop (Bank and CIS), I've done my bit and complained through the annual customer survey.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I think we should all come out in support

Nation wide IT strike, could get some chrimbo shopping in.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Good on 'em

It seems hypocrisy on the part of the Co-Op to outsource it's IT support work when the Co-Op prides itself on it's 'right on' credentials in it's banking services, fair trade and so on. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot.

As both a supporter of The Co-Operative movement and an IT support worker myself in the public sector, I fully support the strike plan by the staff.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Misleading title ?

This is a strike against Streria, not Co-operative Financial Services.

The people striking work for Steria and it is Steria who are making them redundant so that they can off-shore work - presumably because Co-operative Financial Services are tendering or have negotiated a price which Steria cannot meet without off-shoring ? - or they want a bigger profit ?

There is competition to supply "services", if Steria need to do this to be competitive (e.g. against Tata, Infosys) then so be it. If they lose the contract a lot more staff will lose their jobs.

The caveat is that this should be true off-shoring. If Steria import lower cost workers from India who end up at the redundant worker's desks they should be taken to court.

Co-operative Financial Services are not the same as Co-Op retail, who pride themselves on Fair-Trade and locally sourced products. In that regard, Co-operative Financial Services selection criteria could include an element of "carbon footprint" scoring.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Putting yourself in the gunsights

Well the management have a hard decision now. Strike and you have a 50% shot of getting the sack, cause you can be sure they will target the trouble makers.

"We'll protest about job cuts by not doing our job" That'll work

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ethics?

Just popped over to the CFS website. Under "Our values" they list:

Social Responsibility - We are committed to leading the way on ethical, environmental and community issues.

You'd think this dispute could be defined as a communitiy issue.

7. Gulfie
    Stop

@AC

"if Steria need to do this to be competitive (e.g. against Tata, Infosys) then so be it"

Don't agree. There is nothing to stop any tendering company declaring the jobs to be safe from offshoring to fall into line with the customer's supposed position. Steria have chosen not to. That doesn't mean that another supplier more in tune with current affairs will not.

8. Pete Silver badge

re-living the 70's?

So to "save" 31 jobs from going to other countries, 90-odd people are refusing to work. What possible outcomes can we see:

1.) T' management will cave and say "yes, you were right. Making our lives difficult, undermining the UK operations record on reliability has made us willing to keep these people on".

2.) The overseas operations will whisper in the boss' ears and say "they're all troublemakers, close the whole lot. We can pick up the extra work"

3.) The company will see the effect of not having the 90 strikers working and decide they don't need any of them

4.) A miracle will happen, the 31 jobs won't be "offshored" and the company will decide to move more work to the UK

Now, outsourcing is generally an admission that someone else can run your (IT) operation batter then you can. It's also a rather naive view that you'll still get all the tacit work done, that really helped the business run properly. However, I can't help thinking that we went through all this sort of unrest and poor judgement a generation ago - maybe there are some things that need relearning?

9. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Disappointing as usual...

"Hello, this is Ramesh, how can I (not) help you today?"

Indian call centres=horror stories.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

/spin

I would have thought that the low turnout of the strike ballot was a result of people being shit scared of rocking the boat and getting the boot before christmas.

Shitty situation, i would hope that they have started looking for work to get out of that morale-raping environment ASAP, rather than rely on a strike changing the minds of managers who only see them as numbers on a spreadsheet.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Pete

"Now, outsourcing is generally an admission that someone else can run your (IT) operation batter then you can."

Surely you mean:

"Now, outsourcing is generally an admission that someone else can run your (IT) operation cheaper than you can."

12. Martin Lyne
    Go

@Lee

No, I think he was right with "batter".

Co-op should say "outsource and you lose the contract". Money = power, and they claim they use it responsibly. Of course taking contract away would result in job losses too, but just letting the company shoot for enlarged profits via outsourcing to cheap labour is choosing the greater of two evils.

At least when this shitty firm sheds the workers the Co-Op would at least be free (sans-contractus) to start an IT wing and hire the ex-employees.

There I go on a flight of fancy where IT workers are considered worthy of fair treatment again :)

13. Jan Buys
    Unhappy

@ /spin

"i would hope that they have started looking for work to get out of that morale-raping environment ASAP, rather than rely on a strike changing the minds of managers who only see them as numbers on a spreadsheet."

Unite's point is just that the times now are quite hard to find another job.

14. Dapprman

@ Pete

Actually outsourcing is a recognition that some one else can run your IT cheaper than you, quality of service does not come in to it. Often this is achieved by the outsource company's staff trying to pretend they are dedicated resources to each of their multiple clients. The actual technical ability of these people tends to be higher than people expect, they are just over-worked, however there, as any where, are also useless people performing the same roles.

I should know, I worked for one of Europe's largest outsourcing companies for 5 years. Saw some very good techies, some very bad ones, and management trying to maximise employee work loads while BSing their clients.

15. Mark

"We'll protest about job cuts by not doing our job"

Aye, let's see how much money Steria make when there are no IT workers in an IT company.

The management get paid the big bucks, they should be able to manage the work of TEN Ordinary replaceable worker bees, shouldn't they?

16. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

"Right On" Credentials?

I have personally witnessed non-European IT workers on site at Co-op HQ doing work that t'locals can happily perform. Cost can be the only motive for this displacement of jobs.

Seems 100% at odds with t'Co-op's claimed 'right-on' credentials, wot?

17. Britt Johnston

step 2 of 4

As the earlier linked article says, the Coop FS IT department was passed on to Steria in 2007, a fairly common occurence.

Wasn't there a requirement at that time for ex-employees be maintained at equivalent salary for a few years? If not, Co-Op FS didn't do a great job at handover time.

18. Neil
    Coat

IT Workers on strike?

I bet their still checking their emails and server statuses from their mobiles....

19. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

I used to work for Co-Op Financials

Their actual technical guys are all outsourced. I lasted a couple of months before just walking out. Couldn't put up with processing 1st line stuff when I was told it was a proper technical job. There where some good guys there at the time, but the company had decided that outsourcing was the way forward.

20. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

@Pete, @Lee

One more correction. I would change:

"Now, outsourcing is generally an admission that someone else can run your (IT) operation cheaper than you can."

to:

"Now, outsourcing is generally an admission that someone else can promise to run your (IT) operation cheaper than you can."

And I wish I had the grammatical skills to make it clear that the promise relates to the "running" bit, not the "cheaper" bit. It'll definitely be cheaper, but it won't definitely run.

21. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Complained to my Girlfriend...

Who's works for the co-op at their hq in manchester. Because of my gf I've read huge amounts about their ethical policies and how they pride themselves in refusing to allow unethical companies to use their banking services. This just flies in the face of that and I do hope they don't lose their jobs.

22. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Cross Co-op off my short list of recommended banks

Sorry Co-op but as a result of this I have changed my mind about opening an account with you. Obviously you don't have to believe anything I say about my intentions, but you (Co-op HQ) in turn don't have to believe anything an outsourcing contractor tells you about outsourcing costs and QoS. And there's plenty of evidence (anecdotal and otherwise) to say that outsourcing is not the oft-claimed panacea.

That is all.

23. Henry Wertz Gold badge

STRIKE!

"John Torrie, CEO of Steria UK, said the vote was not a strong call to action"

Yeah, it's only an 80% "yes" vote. How strong do they need?

I'm all for them going on strike. I wish people in the US would get a backbone about this (well, in Las Vegas they have -- the IT guys are part of the "service workers" union along with the hookers and pole dancers. For real.) These companies that outsource everything are just going to shoot themselves in the foot.. several in the US, they outsourced everything. Guess what? The company is then just some CEO and executives telling outsourced guys what to do -- eventually the outsourcer realises they can sell the same service direct, and the company that did the outsourcing is done for. A strike will just get them to either tone down the outsourcing, or just get rid of these companies a little faster (when they don't have enough workers to get any work done.) Which I'm all for.

24. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Dick Lynch = Lame-o

With a Dick saying things like "We believe that this export of jobs is unacceptable in the current climate" it'll never work.

Can't he see that it is precisely the "current climate" that encourages companies to offshore jobs?

25. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hyprocrites

"The low turn out for the ballot combined with the fact that just 65 people out of a membership in excess of 175 voted to support action, highlights that the appetite for industrial action goes against the wishes of the vast majority of members."

One wonders what percentage of shareholders actually vote. I've never seen a shareholder ballot form which stated that your not voting would automatically be counted as not being in favour of the recommendations put forward.

I always return these ballots with the exact opposite of whatever is recommended. I know my personal protest will be drowned out by the big corporate shareholders.

26. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A bank outsourcing IT?

Isn't that, like, dangerous?

Anyway, if it's a bank, it's easy to get its attention. If enough account holders get organized, they can just do a big enough "bank run" to make them notice. Just go and cancel your account, stating your reasons; if enough people do it, they'll deprive Co-op of enough money to actually matter about the thing.

This topic is closed for new posts.